We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Fleas and no see-ums

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Sand Fleas and no see-ums

Are the sand fleas, or no see-ums still a big problem on Carenero Island. We are going to be there in two weeks. I am wondering if I am better off to choose an accommodation on a different island in the Bocas if the sand fleas and no see-ums are still causing problems.

14 replies to this topic
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sand Fleas and no see-ums

Again, don't let your guard down.............they may appear at any time at any place in the tropics. Always be prepared for them with the proper deterrent.

Playa Blanca may experience them early AM and dusk and during full moon.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sand Fleas and no see-ums

Thankfully we won't be there during the full moon, so maybe they won't be as fierce!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
34 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Sand Fleas and no see-ums

I was in Carenero last year, stayed in one of the nice hotels over the water and we were nearly eaten alive by sand fleas. The american owner gave us a burning thing to put while outside and that helped a little bit, sand fleas kind of spoil the enjoyment of the beautiful nature.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
409 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sand Fleas and no see-ums

This is such a bummer. I finally found an affordable house for my family to rent on this island, but perhaps the sand fleas are the reason it is so affordable. Both mosquitos and sand fleas LOVE me and one of my boys. A good deal won't be worth the itchiness.

One quick question. Are the sand fleas bad year round, or just certain months? I know they just became more bothersome in the beach town we live at in Costa Rica. I am hoping they leave soon.

Reply to: Sand Fleas and no see-ums
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Carenero Island