We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for Trip in Western U.S.- RV?

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for Trip in Western U.S.- RV?

We are looking for ideas which will please the whole family. 2 teen daughters, Mom & Dad. We took an RV trip several yrs ago, Mom &Dad loved it-daughters say not again,please. Mom &Dadwould like a variety of hiking, rafting, and sightseeing, Girls want to go to Laguna Beach(yikes) any ideas for a compromise that will please the 4 of us?

We have been to Arizona & New Mexico several times- kind of thinking about California or Pacific northwest?

All ideas welcome!

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for Trip in Western U.S.- RV?

Try the California coast starting up around SF and going south. You can go north and see some wonderful sights including the redwoods and mountains, like Mt Whitney, do some whitewater rafting, many pan for gold in an old mining town. Then start the Pacific Coast Highway down. Monterey Peninsula and Carmel are beautiful. Stay in Half Moon Bay on the way down and do Hearst Castle. The Mission in Santa Barbara and stay in the area if you can. SB is a great place. Then down thru Malibu and then Long Beach and the Queen Mary. Cut inland and do Palm Springs, Bear Lake, Joshua Tree National Monument and cut back to the coast to do La Jolla and end in San Diego.

You can start in SF or Seattle and do the northern Pacific coast as well. I had that trip all planned but never did it. It will be cooler and have a high likelihood of rain, but wow - Seattle is some place and I wish I had time to do exploring south of there. The Olympic Peninsula and the San Juan Islands. All along the Oregon Coast and then thru northern CA to SF. You can even do the wine country in all 3 states! lol - that should please mom and dad!

As for the RV - I understand how the girls feel. That's a lot of togetherness for teens and parents.

Regardless - CA and the Pacific Coast is a GREAT choice. I think Laguna Beach is ok, but I'm not sure I'd bust my butt to see it. La Jolla is actually a lot more attractive. But my teen years are long gone.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for Trip in Western U.S.- RV?

How long are you planning on travelling. If you fly in and out of San Fran / Sacramento or LA you can make a giant loop and see completely different areas of Calfiornia and experience completely different activities.

The Coast

North of San Fran you have Mendocino, Eureka, Klamath and more. Beautiful coastal towns in the heart of the Redwood Trees.

If you head East from there you can stop in Lassen National Park, It has one of the only two active volcano on mainland USA. There sre hot springs and lots of hiking. Beautiful and you don't get the crowds.

You can then drive down through California gold country (some good river rafting in the area on the american river), some caverns to explore, lots of california history to learn and beautiful countryside.

Stop at Yosemite National Park, drive through Sequioa National Forest and Kings Canyon. Again great hiking (from beginers trails to advance trails)

Laguana Beach is an artsy town (think Taos, NM) with lots of galleries and littel restaurants. Catch LA at the same time.

Head north along the 101 and coast highway. Stop at Hearst Castle and Monterey on the drive back to San Francisco.

You can of course do the trip in reverse order.

Have fun and if you want more info on any specific area, let me know or post in the CA forum.

Juxie

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for Trip in Western U.S.- RV?

Of course I have to say the Pac NW would be a good place :)

Maybe you could drive around Portland or Seattle and do the urban things with your daughters-there is much to do here. But also you will be 1 hour away from the beach and 1 hour away from the Cascade mountains(at least for Portland). Oregon has many state parks that are very well maintained and safe for RVing. Of course there are tons of hiking, rafting and sightseeing to do in this area-so if you're interested I can tell you more or go to the Oregon Fourm. People at the fourm are all too willing to help...

4. Re: Ideas for Trip in Western U.S.- RV?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 pm, August 26, 2009