We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Family Vaca in Tuscany

Soquel, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Planning a Family Vaca in Tuscany

Hello - I need some help. I am nearly 65 and one of my daughters has offered to take me to Tuscany for my birthday. My family is from Lucca and Carrera. We will most likely be traveling with my daughter and her boyfriend and another daughter and her husband. I don't want to be a fifth wheel, but it may be inevitable.

I am metaphysically oriented and I don't like touristy stuff. I want to see some touristy destinations, because you have to - I have no idea how to plan this trip. I am thinking one day in Rome, one in Lucca and then, who knows. I want to experience good food and good wine and just FEEL what is it like to be in Italy (as that is my heritage). I am overwhelmed. How do I start planning? I get the Untours brochures, but there is not enough detail to see if those would be a good fit. I am a bit of a "thinker" - should I just pick up a bunch of books and then try to figure it out myself? What do you recommend? I am thinking perhaps 7-10 days. Thanks

Soquel, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a Family Vaca in Tuscany

Also, hot weather is not favorable. Is September okay, or would it have to be pushed further to avoid scorching hot weather?

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,168 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a Family Vaca in Tuscany

Tuscany in September....what a wonderful birthday present! You will still have glorious weather, and fewer tourists.

This such a beautiful region of Italy, that you could happily spend your entire holiday here. As to what to see and do, personally I'd suggest getting some really good guide books, maps and a wine guide. I personally wouldn't recommend the Rick Steves guides,but Lonely Planet, Dorling Kindersley, Fodor and www.chianti.com are all very good.

I don't know if you can download BBC programmes, but if you can, there have been 3 to 4 recent series that have been excellent entertainment (google ....BBC programmes about Italy..)

The Tuscany travel forum here in trip adviser is full of up to date information, tips, things to do, costs of accommodation, car hire, festival dates, and itineraries. Even if you haven't worked out where you want to stay, it's well worth reading the information that is available. If you haven't decided on accommodation, you may find the reviews and photo's submitted by other travellers, very helpful.

Soquel, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a Family Vaca in Tuscany

Thank you very much for your reply. I truly appreciate it. I am sure many people ask the same initial questions - it can seem daunting and overwhelming and it's so nice that there are people kind enough to take time out of their busy days to respond with such helpful tips.

Thanks again!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,573 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a Family Vaca in Tuscany

I am just fine tuning my plans for Italy this summer. Remember that one DAY in a place means two nights. Your time evaporates quickly. I think if you can find a nice Agritourismo (and the nice ones book quickly, so you will need to get on it) in Tuscany, then you can easily make day trips to the destinations of choice such as Lucca, Pisa, Florence, Siena, etc.

By choosing a nice agritourismo in the countryside, then you can have that sense of just being in Italy that you are looking for.

Vicenza, Italy
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a Family Vaca in Tuscany

Hello well since i live in Italy i can try to help you. Start of deciding in which airport you will arrive Roma or Firenze,( Rome or Florence). You can stay 2 days in Florence then travel to

Rome stoping at Siena, San Germigniano,Volterra. And other small towns where you can try the excellent food and wine, you need 3 to 5 days for Rome that is more touristic but beautiful.

Soquel, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a Family Vaca in Tuscany

You people are awesome! I just put a bunch of books on my wishlist at Amazon and am going to start reading the forum here to see what I can glean. What do people think of some of the spas that are advertised? My dream experience seems like it could be to stay in one place and travel to destinations. I know the time is going to go fast. I am even wondering if I want to see Rome (because I don't like tourists or to feel rushed or pressured). I know I "should" see Rome, but it seems like I would rather just relax. I guess I am getting lazy in my old age!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,573 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a Family Vaca in Tuscany

We opted to leave Rome off our itinerary, for the same reasons. I just felt like we would be dashing about too much trying to cram too much into our limited time (which is still 16 days).

I haven't been myself yet, but from my research, I think a Tuscan agritourismo is what you want. This would put you within reach of many of these destinations.

8. Re: Planning a Family Vaca in Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, February 07, 2015