We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii Alternative for a Family

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Hawaii Alternative for a Family

My wife & I don't have any children, but my sister does. We had planned to get together with her & my other family (8 adults & 2 kids (ages 9 & 5)) over Thanksgiving in Hawaii. We're scattered across the country & thought it would be a good reunion.

We ran into one wrinkle: Flights from her airport (RDU) to Hawai ran about $1,000/person, put travel alone at $4k. (yikes!)

So we're looking for somewhere else. Maybe some place like Hawaii, but not as expensive.

Ideally her flights would be $600 or less. (I'm flying from LA, but my budget & tolerance for travel times is greater.)

We'd like to be near a beach, and either able to rent individual rooms near each other, or even better, a large house we could all fit in.

International travel is fine. (That said, we'd like to avoid Cancun/Riviera Maya as we've been there.)

I've done some searching into Costa Rica, Bermuda, St. Martin & others, but it's hard to tell if they would be good families or what there is to do.

Where would you go & why?

Edited: 1:21 am, February 10, 2013
1. Re: Hawaii Alternative for a Family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 12, 2014