We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auto Escape - avoid

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Auto Escape - avoid

Just wanted to share my very unpleasant experience with this company. I used them to rent a car, and went through their website to find a car. I was traveling with far too much family as usual, so wanted a largish car at good value. I found the Ford B-Max which seemed to fit my needs.

I showed up at the Europcar on a Sunday, to find a Ford Focus waiting for me. Lovely car, but with about half the boot space. Europcar kindly sent someone out to deal with my concern, but the basic issue was that there was no bigger car available. I called Auto Escape, and in a spectacularly rude manner, said that a B-Max and Focus were the same car, which it clearly isn't. I asked why then was it listed separately, at a higher price, pointing out that I had paid more for a reason. Their completely nonsensical answer was that this was a car rental broker, that they provided quotes for different cars provided by different companies, and that while the car I wanted was listed differently from what I got, with a higher price, based on a quote from a different company from Europcar, they had the right to change to another vehicle. (I rent cars a lot, so am used to companies switching 'like with like' - the basic argument is that a B-Max would normally be a different category).

So I was standing there with a car that would not swallow my luggage, and they got angry with *me*!??! I couldn't believe it. I got a supervisor and was shouted at by her as well.

Anyway, deeply unpleasant experience. I recommend to avoid if you can.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auto Escape - avoid

Don't think a B-Max is bigger that a Focus but it's a minimini van and maybe more trunk space. I also think a B-max is based on a Fiesta and a C-max is based on a Focus.

Edited: 9:29 am, June 18, 2012
Le...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Auto Escape - avoid

I too had an unpleasant experience when travelling in Iceland.

Twice I booked through Autoescape and twice I had problems. The first time they debited my credit card even though Sixt did not show up with the car.

The second time Autoescape never deemed to answer my confirmation for a car rental ; I ended up without having a car the next day, this, despite the fact that their site proposed a car as available.

Don't even think of calling their hotline : it would cost the price of your car rental.

3. Re: Auto Escape - avoid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:52 am, March 10, 2013
Madrid, Spain
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Auto Escape - avoid

Hey guys I have the same problem they have charged me and I didn't even get a confirmation for the car.. and I'm calling them but the number is wrong or maybe because I can't call them from outside UK.. I have emailed them but still no reply.. can you provide me with a number so I can call them??

thanks

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auto Escape - avoid

Terrible company - i am having issues, after a lot of complaininng and confirmation of the wrong car - i negotiated a refund with someone who barely spoke english- only to be waiting to receive money a month later. i couldnt encourage people to avoid them more.

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auto Escape - avoid

They are based in France - the numbers in London are fake. Their customer service team barely speaks English. I cant say enough bad things about this company,

Cardiff
Level Contributor
40 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Auto Escape - avoid

I too got screwed by Auto Escape. I tried to rent a car from them to collect at Nice airport. They emailed me next day to say that no car was available on that day. They had, however, debited my account for €264.70. When I discovered this, I rang to ask for my money back, as I had in the meantime rented from another company. They promised to refund my money that day.......needless to say that was almost a month ago, and still no refund. I have rung their UK ? number 0844 369 0109 and just get music. I have also emailed twice, all with no result. Any ideas ??

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Auto Escape - avoid

I know that music only too well...! I found sveral numbers on the internet for them. I believe i actually ended up calling a french number rather than the 0844 number and getting hold of a human being. It was singularly one of the most frustating customer experiences i have ever had. neither email or certain phone numbers worked.

Try autoescape.com/Pages_Infos/ie/ie/mentions-le… 0808 2341 362 - someone seems to pick up this line...

Cardiff
Level Contributor
40 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Auto Escape - avoid

Thanks a lot.....I'll try it !

Cardiff
Level Contributor
40 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Auto Escape - avoid

Thanks, but a French person answers and doesn't speak English !!