We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas Please!, Want to take kids abroad for a Year

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Ideas Please!, Want to take kids abroad for a Year

So, after conversing with my husband, I decided it was time to take my pre teen abroad so he can see the world and emmerse in a language /culture.

I am not looking for anything fancy as my budget is limited yet safe. The ideal countries are France, Japan or southeast Asia (Loas,Thailand)

Has anyone done this before? and how did you prepare?

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas Please!, Want to take kids abroad for a Year

I travel a lot with my children at lengths of only 7 to 9 weeks. I admit that I have yet to travel a continuous 360 days in a row, but I will share a few thoughts.

Selecting onE region of the world is a good idea. If your not going to be working in a country you may want to consider doing an around the world ticket (many airlines and airline groups offer these) and spend a month or two at different locations. We often spend a month in an area and that gives us good exposure and emerson into a culture. However, a year may be better for you.

For instance, last year we traveled to Guatemala, Hawaii, Korea, Vietnam, the Balic countries, and Northern Europe. This year we are still formulating our travels.

Anyway, I suggest two areas to research and consider. We like Central America as it has diverse cultures, wonderful people and it is economical. We also enjoy Asia because it is distinctly different than the USA, the food is good, it has an exotic feel, relatively economical, and loads of culture.

While I have always enjoyed the history of Europe I find it very expensive and less enjoyable than parts of the world where my money buys more.

Suggestion: Wrie down the areas and countries that excite you. Write down what you want to gain from your explorations. Get a large flat world map and mark the places you like.

We have often focused on our map this way and then picked a personal favorite which we then weaved into our trip.

Have fun in the planning stages.

You will have a lot to manage leaving for so long.

Enjoy!

Edited: 9:02 am, January 01, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas Please!, Want to take kids abroad for a Year

Thanks EpicureanFunTraveler, I appreciate your input. My oldest is 12 and wants to visit his dads country in Southeast asia.( Tthailand and Laos) In addition it would work well for us economicaly. Now Japan was another option but I've been there in the past and find it to be expensive like Europe.

Also I was considering central/south america for him but worry, since he has no real interest in the language nor culture. Ofcourse I thought if I take him, he would change his mind upon arrival.

Truly, I am torn between what I want and what he prefers. However, flying to different countries sounds exciting once i choose what coast

3. Re: Ideas Please!, Want to take kids abroad for a Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:52 am, January 03, 2012