We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need a local vacation/camping idea for family with a teenage

Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
45 reviews
need a local vacation/camping idea for family with a teenage

Hi, I have been trying to come up with a near by low cost vacation idea that includes using our trailer. We have a 15 year old boy and it needs to include something he would like to do. We have been going to Wildwood for the past few years and would like to try something a little different.

Looked into Valley Forge, PA and Knoebels in PA.

Anybody have any ideas we live in northwest NJ and would like something at most 2 1/2 hrs from us.

Thanks

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
46 reviews
1. Re: need a local vacation/camping idea for family with a teenage

One, visit the New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania destination forums.

Second, Google the official state parks websites. State parks get overlooked and can offer great value and variety. I not familiar with the state parks in that are so I can not recommend a park, but I have found the state parks in a number of states to offer what you say you are looking for.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
46,192 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: need a local vacation/camping idea for family with a teenage

I agree - I would look at state parks as well as national parks for something different. :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
429 posts
119 reviews
3. Re: need a local vacation/camping idea for family with a teenage

If you'll be with a trailer, I'd suggest going to Shenandoah National Park and staying in Big Meadows campground. Lots of wildlife, waterfalls, amazing views, ranger activities, nearby caves, rafting, horseback riding, etc. Shenandoah is a wonderful place to spend a week. Acadia NP up in Maine is another suggestion. A bit further away, but we went whale watching and kayaking in the ocean - both were amazing experiences.

On a separate note, our family loves Knoebels but there's not too many thrill rides and I don't know of enough activities nearby to add to the trip. We've combined it with the Little League World Series in Williamsport.

4. Re: need a local vacation/camping idea for family with a teenage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, May 11, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
30,391 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: need a local vacation/camping idea for family with a teenage

mymoneykarma @#4.......As mentioned to you in your other post on the Adventure Travel Forum, advertising, self promotion, solicitation is not permitted by Tripadvisor on any of their forums..

See a brief description below-, or go thru the Help Center

https:/…200613647-Forum-Guidelines

Thank you

Edited: 7:51 am, May 11, 2017
6. Re: need a local vacation/camping idea for family with a teenage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 13, 2018