We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for 10-12 day June trip for family w/teen boys

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for 10-12 day June trip for family w/teen boys

Hello, I appreciate any ideas for an approximately 10 day trip with teen boys. We enjoy nature, beautiful scenery,easy walks and short hikes, like to see wildlife/animals. We would like to go abroad (we live in United States and can fly out of Washington, DC), and would prefer somewhere warm.

Ideally also somewhere we can fly to in 10 hours or less, because don't want to spend all the time on a plane. We have been to Paris/Barcelona/Madrid, (my husb has been to London) so would prefer somewhere new. I looked into Galapagos, but that is too expensive with the big boats since my son is prone to sea sickness. Also, with his many food allergies, we have heard mixed things about cruises being able to accommodate food allergies. I apologize for all the criteria, but hopefully it will narrow down some places that would be great for us to visit. Thank you in advance for your ideas, and all ideas are welcome!

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,783 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for 10-12 day June trip for family w/teen boys

Cruising could be a great option, and the vast majority of cruise lines handle food allergies and intolerances quite well.

That said, maybe Costa Rica would be a good fit? Nearby, exotic, gorgeous scebery, hikes, beaches, etc?? Although, it is rainy season, they're generally not hit by many major storms or such.

Ecuador? Some great trips available there with hikes, rivers, rainforest and so on...

Many of the Caribbean islands fit the bill. Mexico fits the bill, particularly the west coast, ie Puerto Vallerta, etc.

Good luck!

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for 10-12 day June trip for family w/teen boys

Thank you for your reply-May I ask any particular areas of Ecuador (outside of the Galapagos) that you would suggest? Costa Rica is a place that we have considered also.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,255 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for 10-12 day June trip for family w/teen boys

Fly into Rome, rail to Florence, rail to Venice. Fly home. I recommend that you take the rail to Venice. Once you leave the Terminal your mouth will drop open once you see the Grand Canal. A beautiful sight seeing experience. Happy travels!

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for 10-12 day June trip for family w/teen boys

Thank you for your reply-I have heard Venice is beautiful. Any short outdoor hikes that are family-friendly in the Rome/Venice/Florence area and that can be reached by public transportation? Thank you in advance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for 10-12 day June trip for family w/teen boys

My suggestions might not be out of USA. It June most places are warm. You might fly to Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, San Francisco/Oakland, Denver, Calgary. Do a 10/12 day road trip (rent a car) and see some of the Natl Parks /scenery of the West. Yellowstone, Utah Natl Parks, Canadian Rockies, Rocky Mountain NP, Yosemite, Big Sur. ETC ETC

I assume you fly from BWI which Southwest Air generally have non stops to many of USA major cities.

Getting accommodations within the Natl Parks might be tough. But cancellations come in all the time if fully booked.

Edited: 9:28 am, February 01, 2017
Maryland
Level Contributor
30 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for 10-12 day June trip for family w/teen boys

Yea a trip out to Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado may be your best option if you want to stick inside the U.S. That region of the United States is perfect for nature lovers and has some of the best hiking trails and views in the whole United States. I will be heading out that way in June/July. If you were to go to Yellowstone though, you would likely have to have booked your hotel as there is a lot of demand for the couple of lodges throughout the park. We had to reserve ours the day they went on sale in May and we barely got a room. Whatever you choose Happy Travels.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31,542 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for 10-12 day June trip for family w/teen boys

Venice is very close to the Dolomite mountains, around Trento. Beautiful mountain scenery and lots of hiking. Also close to Lake Guarda. Its a wonderful area. I'd head over to the Venice forum and get advice on the specifics over there.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
8,029 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for 10-12 day June trip for family w/teen boys

Go to yellowstone/teton......it has everything you desire for this vacation.

End of story.

Edited: 11:15 am, February 03, 2017
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
9,019 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for 10-12 day June trip for family w/teen boys

Bermuda offers much of that. The Canadian Rockies, The Coast of the Pacific Northwest, Yellowstone or Alaska.

10. Re: Suggestions for 10-12 day June trip for family w/teen boys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 05, 2018