We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuisine Destination Battle: Brazilian vs. Mexican

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
30,028 posts
7,233 reviews
16,682 helpful votes
Cuisine Destination Battle: Brazilian vs. Mexican

A North vs. South battle to mix things up a bit:

You have a choice of traveling to Brazil or Mexico and want to consider food, dining and cuisine when making your destination decision. Which destination do you choose and why?

Remember, this is just for fun and to help travellers think about destinations they might want to travel to in pursuit of food, dining and cuisine. So, lets keep the dishes heated and the conversation cool!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
30,028 posts
7,233 reviews
16,682 helpful votes
1. Re: Cuisine Destination Battle: Brazilian vs. Mexican

I'll kick this one off....

Confess to being rather ignorant when it comes to Brazilian cuisine being mostly familiar with the Brazilian-style steakhouses more than anything else.

Mexican food on the other hand is something we quite enjoy. Be it authentic Mexican or Tex-Mex or perhaps a bit of both, we do like our tacos, nachos, enchiladas and other Mexican dishes. Salsa, guacamole and freshly made pico de gallo are just lovely chip dips and add-ons for dishes.... and how could we forget Margaritas....

As such, based on what we very much like about Mexican food, we opt to travel to Mexico to explore the regional cuisines and food types over that of traveling to Brazil for food pursuits.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
13 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Cuisine Destination Battle: Brazilian vs. Mexican

I'd go Brazilian. Rice and beans, beef, I bet they have- in some regions anyhow- yuca fries.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
19,336 posts
123 reviews
74 helpful votes
3. Re: Cuisine Destination Battle: Brazilian vs. Mexican

Like you, I don't know much about Brazilian cuisine, so I'd probably pick Brazil as an opportunity to learn about their food and try new things.

Mexican food is a staple for me, and I love it.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
4. Re: Cuisine Destination Battle: Brazilian vs. Mexican

I've been all over Mexico and the food is so diversified in each region and town. Some hot and spicy, some very sweet, some very earthy in smell and taste, etc. Been all around all Brazil, depends on the area as pretty much in any country. Just like going to a Chinese restaurant in the US, they don't eat at home what they make in the restaurant. It's geared to what the locals like in that area, I like them both (Mexican and Brazilian) and love the differences. One part can be so different than in another. :)

Edited: 1:21 am, February 13, 2015
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
60,960 posts
149 reviews
122 helpful votes
5. Re: Cuisine Destination Battle: Brazilian vs. Mexican

Mexican hands down -- had many types of Mexican food but not so much of the food from brazil. But I love the various salsas, use of spices and chiles as well as the moles and the fresh tortillas from Mexico.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,110 posts
37 reviews
101 helpful votes
6. Re: Cuisine Destination Battle: Brazilian vs. Mexican

In terms of indigenous food and cuisine, Mexico wins hands down. The complex moles found in each region are a delight, and the variety of chilis, whether fresh, dried or smoked can be a revelation, especially if your expectation are that they just come in hot or hotter varieties. Some are really sweet and fruity like habaneros, even though they're also pretty hot so if you don't have a tolerance, you only get the hit from the heat overpowering the subtle undertones.

Brazilian's native cuisine seems to have got stuck some where with the starches like farofa/manioc. Even the full (we ALWAYS got it on a Friday) fejoiada meal, which strictly comes from Rio but is found all over, is pretty limited and samey, even the sided dishes don't vary much.

So Mexico.

However, for fancy restaurants, Rio but also Sao Paulo have some terrific restaurants serving 'new Brazilian' which is usually a sort of fusion of Latino and Asian in some sort of combo.

SWT

7. Re: Cuisine Destination Battle: Brazilian vs. Mexican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 15, 2016
Get answers to your questions