We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip

Normal, Illinois
5 posts
Save Topic
Road trip

We are planing to road trip from central part of Illinois to Portland, OR, Seattle,WA, Vancouver, BC, Calgary, BC, back to Illinois via Montana. Any tip for this would highly appreciated.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,204 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip

Try posting here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

You might also consider asking some specific questions so folks will know what sorts of "tips" you'd like!

Do you need info on:

best roads

places to stop

lodging?

You might also tell how long you have for this trip and things you enjoy so the folks will know you a bit more and be able to offer intelligent advice.

Normal, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip

Thank you for your prompt response. Basically i am planning to drive 10-12 hrs a day. Plane to stay around nature, National parks etc. Any reasonable place to stay and what to see etc.

Thanx again

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip

Best tip I can give you - cut down on your planned driving hours!

You'll need time to eat, toilet, re-fuel as a minimum, but if you're going anywhere worthwhile, you're going to want to spend time out of the car. I've done long road trips - the "good old" 450 plus miles a day in the US - but 10-12 hours driving time is only good for getting from A to B, not for enjoying what's on the way.

Use a route planner to plot an approximate route, with distances and times and allow for time at points of interest en route plus meals etc. Remember that some days you might want to get to your hotel fairly early and have a swim before dinner, or a jacuzzi, or just a stroll.

Normal, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip

Thank your for your tips. My idea is if i like some place i can spend day or two around in nature B/4 i reach my destination.

canada
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip

On your way west, go through Yellowstone, perhaps also Grand Teton. On your return from Calgary, drive through Waterton and Glacier NP. Montana is boring, so are the Dakatas, other than the Black Hills. No problem driving 10-12 hours a day through the Prairies. Set the cruise control and you won´t have cramps. Try to engage yourself with something so that you won´t fall asleep on the wheel. Eating is not good as satiety causes sleepiness.

Normal, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip

Thank you for your constructive suggestions.

7. Re: Road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 16, 2013