We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your travel experiences thus far

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
216 reviews
81 helpful votes
Your travel experiences thus far

Hope everyone is having fun at the WC.

For those in Russia how have you found the transport - especially flying?

Any good and/or bad experiences to report with airlines/trains etc?

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
128 reviews
4,654 helpful votes
1. Re: Your travel experiences thus far

@Shooter25, hey

1/ domestic flights are nothing to shout about, the usual aviation routine with security checks, airports and luggage carousels

2/ about trains:

https:/…92749267

And also to add that the AC on the trains is terrible: centrally controlled and un-adjustible in the compartment. On the stops it's switched off and inside the train it feels like a frying pan, between the stops it's deadly cold again - as a result we all arrived back to Moscow with sore throats, running noses and coughing.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
2. Re: Your travel experiences thus far

Judging by 5 flight segments with Aeroflot and 2 segments with S7, I would say that these two are completely similar. On an international scale I'd say both are about on par with Turkish Airlines, both regarding advantages (like in-flight service) and disadvantages (slightly disorganised, people standing up before parking position being reached etc.). But more or less ok, nothing to complain about except Aeroflot messing up boarding through gate change when half of boarding was already done, so de- and re-boarding ensued..

Metro in Moscow very cheap and fast, but very far between stations.

We found taxi stands out as the best mean of transport (except train of course, but we didn't do train rides this time except Aeroexpress), very good value for money, we used Yandex app (get a Russian SIM on arrival, dirt cheap) with selection cash payment in order to not have to enter credit card details. No driver spoke English but all were friendly and honest.

And lastly walking is also ok, with drivers much more careful nowadays, and second countdown on all pedestrian traffic lights.

That's about it, had no major issue with transport. Most uncomfortable was unsurprisingly the free stadium shuttles, packed to the limit.

United States
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: Your travel experiences thus far

I've had one train ride from Moscow to Nizhny and an S7 flight from Nizhny to St. Petersburg and so far no hitches. For the latter, we landed a little behind schedule at Domodedovo in Moscow so I worried about making our connection, but even with going through security again, we made our flight, which was also a little behind schedule. But even if it had left on time, we would have had at 10 minutes to spare.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
4. Re: Your travel experiences thus far

Good point about security, forgot that - there is Israeli-style security all over Russia, meaning you go through airport style security when entering airports, shopping centers, train stations, sometimes even metro stations. Even *domestic* transfer at the Moscow airports means another security to pass, haven't seen that anywhere else.

5. Re: Your travel experiences thus far

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:08 am, June 20, 2018
Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
128 reviews
4,654 helpful votes
6. Re: Your travel experiences thus far

""haven't seen that anywhere else.""

Well, put Indonesia in your bucket list in order to see MORE....lol. We have even tighter security protocol for all public buildings, hotels, shopping malls etc.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
7. Re: Your travel experiences thus far

Sorry, I was referring specifically to the domestic transfer security. Israel and Turkey comes to my mind if talking about non-airport security checks. But I have very limited experience of SE Asia (Europe-Singapore overland in 97 and HK/Philippines in 2015, that's it).

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
330 posts
53 reviews
44 helpful votes
8. Re: Your travel experiences thus far

"as a result we all arrived back to Moscow with sore throats, running noses and coughing"

This is no doubt annoying, but you're not going to get sick from the air conditioner being turned on too high.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
128 reviews
4,654 helpful votes
9. Re: Your travel experiences thus far

Just as an example all shopping malls in Jkt have:

1/ all vehicles ( to the parking lot) check including mirror bottom check and gas analizator check of the salon.

2/ all visitors go through ringing frames and all bags are scanned by the airport style x-ray machine.

3/ sniffing dogs

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
128 reviews
4,654 helpful votes
10. Re: Your travel experiences thus far

""you're not going to get sick from the air conditioner ""

Oh yes, you are. Especially if you are from SEA, like me.