We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austrailia road trip - Sydney -> Melbourne -> Adelaide

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Topic
Austrailia road trip - Sydney -> Melbourne -> Adelaide

Hey guys,

Firstly, sorry about creating another thread, i couldn't find the main Australia trip thread. Anyways, 2 friends and i are planning a road trip in Australia for the first part of our 3 weeks trip. Estimated time for the road trip is about a week. We would be arriving and starting our road trip from Sydney, our main other destinations would be to Melbourne and Adelaide and ending back in Sydney.

Main aim of this trip is to do a lot of sight-seeing and photography, areas like the broken head lookout, places where we could see views away from the busy, crowded cities, with buildings everywhere.

We were hoping we could get more information like which routes to take or which areas we should visit to make this trip worthwhile! We were also hoping we could get more info on routes so that we can cover as many different destinations as possible within our estimated time frame.

We were looking forward to this for a long time so all suggestions are welcome. thank you in advance!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,513 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Austrailia road trip - Sydney -> Melbourne -> Adelaide

3,500 km in seven days??? Bwahaha. That's very funny.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,513 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Austrailia road trip - Sydney -> Melbourne -> Adelaide

Ok, I've recovered....

A week to drive to Melbourne and around the countryside south of Melbourne, including out along the Great Ocean Road and finishing in Melbourne is more than enough to tackle in seven days. This isn't a rally.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,720 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Austrailia road trip - Sydney -> Melbourne -> Adelaide

Hi Alfie

Welcome to the road trips forum.

Starting a new post is fine. Actually, it's what you should do - it's always best to avoid confusion with what somebody else wishes to do you their trip.

Anyway, to yours: Do you actually know what Sydney - Melbourne - Adelaide - Sydney would be like? As you are from Singapore, I'm guessing that long drives aren't something you may have had much chance to experience for yourself, but I could be wrong. Yes, it's possible to do all of that within a week, truck drivers do it all the time and of course the Stig wouldn't have an issue, either - and I'm assuming Vancouverite's maths is correct that this huge triangle would run to 3.5 K kms - but, here's the thing:

First you say you you want to do a lot of sightseeing and photography? When would you expect to fit that in? Do you wish to see any of the delights of Melbourne or Adelaide during the trip. Secondly, to have time to explore both of those cities, you'd need 2 nights in each, so that only leaves you with 3 nights, which would be the mid point between each of those long legs.

Some of the driving, done on the main highways between those cities can be done pretty fast, and on some of the stretches aren't so interesting or exciting that you'd be wanting to stop for photo ops every half hour. However, what I can tell you is we took a whole week once to drive from just Melbourne to Adelaide and found endless amounts of interesting and scenic places to stop, especially around the justly famous Great Ocean Road route.

Perhaps, tell us about the rest of your plans for your visit to Oz and we can make some sensible suggestions for a one week road trip.

For details of the best spots for skyline views of each city, you should ask on each city's forum. Certainly the Melbourne skyline has changed since we were last there. Also, if your budget will stretch to this, for amazing views of Sydney Harbour, do the Bridge Climb in Sydney at sunset or sunrise, although you aren't allowed to take your own cameras.

SWT

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Austrailia road trip - Sydney -> Melbourne -> Adelaide

Not sure what you mean by Broken Head. Broke Bay is north of Sydney. Most scenic route to Melbourne is south of Sydney via Eden along Sapphire coast and GOR west of Melbourne but no way to do this in one week and Adelaide will be a long detour. Coast south of Sydney has it all, rain forests, wildlife and a brilliant coast.

Maybe one way to Adelaide and flight back to Sydney but the coastal part west of GOR is a bit less interesting imo.

Tet

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
507 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Austrailia road trip - Sydney -> Melbourne -> Adelaide

One week is short for that trip. It would be good to just leave Adelaide out.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
507 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Austrailia road trip - Sydney -> Melbourne -> Adelaide

If I can suggest a plan

Sydney - Canberra - Cooma ( snowy mountains) cross over to gundagai then on to Melbourne . It's just another city

Great ocean road to warrnabool then north though the Grampians and back to sydney

If you want some more information I wound love to help

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Austrailia road trip - Sydney -> Melbourne -> Adelaide

What time of year will this trip be?

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Austrailia road trip - Sydney -> Melbourne -> Adelaide

Hey guys, thanks for your fast response! i realised the information i provided kinda.. sucked. hahaha. so here are more information about the plan. we are gonna extend the trip to 9 days.

Day1: Drive to Eden and stay at a motel there

Day 2: Eden -> Mallacoota and a visit to Croajingolong National Park

Any idea how much we have to pay to enter the park??

Day 3: Mallacoota to Melbourne - Healesville sanctuary

Day 4: Melbourne

Day 5: Melbourne to Adelaide through the Great ocean road route

Day 8-9: Back at Sydney

I know it may not be a real good plan but we are still in the midst of planning so, i apologise for our lousy planning skill. do you guys have any suggestions as to where there are any budget hotels/ backpackers places to spend the night in between the places? and what are some budget activities that we can do along the great ocean road route and Adelaide??

Thanks so much for your responses!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Austrailia road trip - Sydney -> Melbourne -> Adelaide

Do you mean 5,6,7 on the way to Adeliade? Melburne to Adelaide via GOR definitely is not a one day drive. Even 2 days ill make it tight.

Have not been to Croajingolong NP. My map only shows unpaved roads most of the way. After the drive to Eden I'd also skip Mallacoota (that's a paved road though) Keep in mind if you want to drive along the coast to Eden at some places you'll have to leave Princes hw and drive the byways.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
507 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Austrailia road trip - Sydney -> Melbourne -> Adelaide

Sounds good to me ,but I would cut a bit out its a bit pushed.

I've never been that np but that road isn't very good .the princess high way Sydney to Melbourne is single lane and is slow.and from memory not that scenic .

I would suggest sydney to Melbourne via Canberra on the federal and Hume high ways ,big freeways.

Canberra is nice better the other cities,threre the war memorial ,you'll find Singapore well represented there.

Melbourne is ok just another city that looks good in the rear view mirror.

Great ocean road is very good and don't forget the Grampians ,stay at halls gap!

Adelaide to sydney via broken hill is a good trip you will love the desert.stay at broken hill or cobar.

There's a good zoo at dubbo ,western plans zoo.

Motels? I try to get one with cooking .golden chain has BBQ s and you can buy some fish or steak on the way.