We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from UK to Spain

yorkshire
Level Contributor
61 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from UK to Spain

Can anyone offer a decent driving route through France and into Spain? Thinking of doing this in July. Any people out there with experience of this journey? Do we head from Calais towards Reims?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from UK to Spain

Hi

No you won't be driving via Reims but directly via Paris. Where in Spain are you going? You can take different routes. How much time do you have between Calais and Spain?

For road trips please check www.viamichelin.com

Tet

Hossegor, France
Level Contributor
26 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from UK to Spain

I'm also very interested in this as thinking of driving from the UK to Portugal around June/July as well. A bit worried about toll roads in France though (paid Euro 38.50 for one from Basel-Paris in January), don't want too many of them or it's almost cheaper to fly or ferry or something.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from UK to Spain

Use viamichelin.com to get driving routes, estimated drive times (always too optimistic) and costs including toll fees. You can set it to avoid toll roads for comparison. I made the trip in reverse a long time ago when autoroutes were almost non existent. I would've gladly paid for a faster way bypassing the small towns on the route. But I wasn't interested in doing any sightseeing on the way.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from UK to Spain

-lol- yes Texhills, that was no easy with all the tiny villages on the way and they all had traffic lights

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,502 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from UK to Spain

Hi Sam

This is an old post and 'belongs' to scotsliz, although she never returned to let us know if we provided the answers she wanted, or not.

As said, the viamichelin website is the most useful, both for route planning and journey costing. However, how long do you have to get to Portugal, and where in the UK from, and where in Portugal to?

While driving the fastest way will incur high toll fees - do note that Spain and Portugal also have tolls on their fastest roads, you need to calculate the cost of extra accommodation for extra nights to do the journey instead the slow way. It's not possible to drive from the UK to Portugal via France and Spain in one stretch.

For more info, please tell us more of your plans. Also, do be aware that you need extra safety gear for each different country, and you need to abide by different speed limits, too. Speed cameras are on the increase everywhere!

SWT

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from UK to Spain

I expect you've experienced it Tet. Slowly getting through the villages and cities, farm and vineyard equipment slowing traffic on two lane roads, etc. It's no problem in small doses. But it makes for an extremely long day driving from Bayonne city center to a Calais hotel. I imagine the autoroutes cut a few hours off that drive today.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from UK to Spain

Yes, definitely. In the old days it took me 24 hours to drive between Amsterdam and Barcelona. Must say the nowadays Autoroutes in France are superb but also very boring...

Middlesbrough...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from UK to Spain

Any joy on finding good routes as I am planning to drive to benidorm in the April holidays and as there are six of us it's costing around 1200 in flights and using the Michelin route it's coming at 400 each way including eurotunnel but that will be going through Calais then Paris then Barcelona and then benidorm as we are doing for 10 days in total anybody with any help as it's first time we are driving to spain, I have driven to Paris eurodisney last year and through it was fun

Middlesbrough...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from UK to Spain

Any joy on finding good routes as I am planning to drive to benidorm in the April holidays and as there are six of us it's costing around 1200 in flights and using the Michelin route it's coming at 400 each way including eurotunnel but that will be going through Calais then Paris then Barcelona and then benidorm as we are doing for 10 days in total anybody with any help as it's first time we are driving to spain, I have driven to Paris eurodisney last year and through it was fun

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,502 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from UK to Spain

Hi Robbie - This is scotsliz's topic. If you want advice for your own trip, please may I suggest you start a new topic. It's easy to do, just scroll down this page to the bottom to the orange 'ask a question' button, click, fill in the boxes and send it.

When mentioning money, please let us know what currency your are quoting. For European destinations, Euros would make more sense than £ sterling, too. With six travellers, I can well understand that flights might be expensive, but do understand that with overnight stops, tolls in both France and Spain and ferry or shuttle fares during school holidays (an educated guess on my part) I'm not sure there's much of a saving. If your aim to to spend most of your time in Benidorm, then flying may be best. If you want a road trip drive, and enjoy the drive. Driving fast just to save money on airfares is questionable in terms of any benefits.

SWT