We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route from Asheville/ Berry Springs Lodge/GSMNP/Asheville

malaysia
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
Route from Asheville/ Berry Springs Lodge/GSMNP/Asheville

Has anyone any experience with Berry Springs Lodge, 2149 Seaton Springs Rd, Gatlinburg Area, Sevierville, TN 37862?

Appreciate your input for how well situated it is for visiting Cades Cove, Sugarlands visitors centre , Roaring fork motor trail, and then travelling back to Asheville, via Clingsman Dome and Blue Ridge parkway. We will travelling there by car from Asheville airport, spend 3 days in GSMNP before heading back to Asheville for a few days.

What are the best routes to take from Asheville to Berry Lodge and then to the main attractions in GSMNP... my tentative itinerary is as above... I put in the driving instructions on Google Maps but I am not sure if those directions are the best way to take. Grateful for any input, or suggestions for alternative routes ( sorry I don't know how to copy those instructions here)

I am worried specifically whether I can bypass the traffic jams in Gatlinburg, or if there are easy ways to go to GSMNP without having to struggle with the traffic in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

Any input for your experience there or other comparable accommodation nearer to GSMNP will be much appreciated......

Many Thanks....

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,189 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route from Asheville/ Berry Springs Lodge/GSMNP/Asheville

There are not many roads through GSMNP. It sounds like you've been there before too, if you're worried about traffic in Gatlinburg. This is the most visited national park in the country and the summer is its most popular time. If you're coming in the summer, then you just have to be prepared for traffic.

Coming from Asheville Airport, the best way to Sevierville is not through the park. If you're arriving in the afternoon or evening, then you're not going to want to go to the park that day anyway, so there's no reason to go through Gatlinburg. Gatlinburg has a bypass, and it avoids most of the traffic, so that's certainly an option.

For most of your questions, you can find the answers on the map of the park: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/index.htm (click "View Park Map" in the lower left).

malaysia
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Route from Asheville/ Berry Springs Lodge/GSMNP/Asheville

Thanks for your suggestions. No, I have not been to GSMNP before, but have come across a lot of people warning of the bad traffic in Gatlinburg. I am not a US resident either so not very conversant with the difference between interstate, highway etc in terms of what to expect ....

We will be visitiing in October

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,189 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route from Asheville/ Berry Springs Lodge/GSMNP/Asheville

I'm only vaguely familiar with Malaysian roads. I lived in Singapore for a couple of years in the mid-90's, and went on a bus trip from JB to KL, and a bus/boat trip to a pulau (just one lodge with no running water, but don't recall the name) for a diving trip.

A lot of the roads you'll be on are similar to what you find on the highway between JB and KL, at least 15 years ago. Two lanes, windy and hilly, with the occasional town. Not as many trucks as in Malaysia though. The sections through the Smoky Mountains will be mountainous and very curvy. An interstate is just a motorway: speeds of 100km/h or more, four lanes, pretty easy to drive. The interstates in urban areas, I think, are very similar to what you find on the motorways in Singapore. Asheville's interstates are a little confusing because exits can be on either the left or right, and they come often and are not always well-signed. But, if you have a GPS, then you should be fine.

NORTH CAROLINA
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route from Asheville/ Berry Springs Lodge/GSMNP/Asheville

Not sure about getting to GSMNP from Sevierville but I do know you can get on I-40 west in Asheville and I know I have seen an exit for Sevierville on 1-40 west. We did got to Cades Cove and Clingman's Dome so I feel these might be closer to the Cherokee side.

The only time we went to GSMNP we did it from the Cherokee NC side and did not go all the way to Gatlinburg.

Asheville is a great city my daughter lives there.

Edited: 4:56 pm, August 02, 2013
Indy
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
662 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route from Asheville/ Berry Springs Lodge/GSMNP/Asheville

As far as getting there, I would take I-40 from Asheville to exit 432 (A or B I don't know). You will want to take the exit that will take you to US 441 (also known as TN 35 and Newport Highway) south toward Pigeon Forge. The road will change names to Dolly Parton Parkway at some point. Looks like you will take this to TN 416 and head south to Jayell Rd.. You will take a right on Jayell Rd. and go about 1.5 miles to McCarter Hollow Rd., and then very shortly you will hit Seaton Springs Rd. and it looks like the driveway of the lodge is off this road.

As far as being convenient to park based activities, just depends on who you ask. For me, if one is going to do a park focused trip, they are better off staying in Gatlinburg, Cherokee, Townsend, or the southern portion of Pigeon Forge. The farther away from these areas, and the higher and more deep one gets in the mountains, the longer the drive.

If you still decide to stay here, the best way to get to the park would be to go back to Jayell Rd. and head west to TN-449, also known as Veterans Blvd.. Take this south to US 441 (also known as "the Parkway"). The intersection will be stop light #8 in Pigeon Forge, which avoids most of the traffic on the parkway. I don't know how the traffic is on Veterans Blvd., but I've seen it listed as a great way to quickly by-pass the parkway through Pigeon Forge. You will then head south on US 441 and take the Gatlinburg by-pass into the park.

malaysia
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Route from Asheville/ Berry Springs Lodge/GSMNP/Asheville

Thank you, Ravekid

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,325 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route from Asheville/ Berry Springs Lodge/GSMNP/Asheville

Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg have lots of traffic. There is a bypass around Gatlinburg. If you want to stay in a nice area near Cades Cove and avoid all the horrible traffic in October then stay in Townsend, TN. It has some nice hotels and lodges and good restaurants. We stay there often and will not stay in Pigeon Forge because of all the traffic.

October is prime season for fall leaf color so book your reservations ASAP.

8. Re: Route from Asheville/ Berry Springs Lodge/GSMNP/Asheville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 13, 2014