We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

COSMOS 23 day Trans American Tour - your experience/ideas?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
COSMOS 23 day Trans American Tour - your experience/ideas?

Having completed more than our fair share of panoramic tours (to get an overall) we then enjoy returning to spend quality time in the most favoured parts.

Heading off mid Aug 2013. Being our first time to the USA we would appreciate hearing from any one with experience of this tour and how we best make the most of our free time. Happily having completed these bus tours before we are also aware that the flexibility is there to do our own thing when-ever we want, passing up on the city familiarisation tours usually provided or the optionals - ín saying that, if anyone has ideas of a better way to utilise our limited time in some of the places along the way, we would be love to hear them. Thank you

112 replies to this topic
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,158 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: COSMOS 23 day Trans American Tour - your experience/ideas?

Hi,

I'm in the tour business but posting a link to the tour would be helpful. I suspect that you meant to post in the Washington DC forum vs Seattle? Most tours do not start on the West Coast.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,007 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: COSMOS 23 day Trans American Tour - your experience/ideas?

I post on the Yellowstone forum all the time and have had people do a few reviews of tour trips to the area. Most do a tour that involves staying longer and just doing a couple of stops like the Caravan tours.

I looked at this tour and it does start in LA and end on the east coast. It looks like in the 23 days you will drive by a lot of sights (yes literally just drive by them) but no real time to visit them.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,007 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: COSMOS 23 day Trans American Tour - your experience/ideas?

I'd post this on the Road Trips Forum.

I agree with PeachBelle re: the "flyby" nature of this tour and suggest that you consider a tour of the western or eastern US rather than try to see it all and experience less. Unsure how much of your tour time would be spent in various cities or national parks, just to cite two kinds of locations.

Edited: 10:07 am, July 05, 2013
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,007 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: COSMOS 23 day Trans American Tour - your experience/ideas?

Here's an example of a two week trip just from San Francisco to Seattle, to give you an idea re: things to see in a limited period. Had they added a week, it opens the door to much more, but all in the western US.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k6637401…

Brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: COSMOS 23 day Trans American Tour - your experience/ideas?

My apologies I should have thought to put a link to the specific tour to which I am referring, here it is

cosmostours.com.au/2013/our-tours/USA/Panora…

Brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: COSMOS 23 day Trans American Tour - your experience/ideas?

Thank you voyaging. I am you are right in suggesting I need to post this on Road Trips forum; still in the learning process using Trip Advisor. Thank you for your comments :)

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,158 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: COSMOS 23 day Trans American Tour - your experience/ideas?

hopefully your still reading this. I can point out a few things for you once I saw the itinerary. To only have 4 included Continental brkfsts tells me this is a super budget tour. A hot meal 3 times a day will add hundreds of dollars in extra costs. The options appear reasonable with the exception of Las Vegas where any of these can be arranged on your own for probably a lot less $$. I didn't go so far as to calculate the distance each day but if you want to take the time to do so using Mapquest or similar. You can keep adding a destination to give you an ideea of the mileage each day. Its an enormous country and honestly I've never driven cross country. Most tours do a section such as been suggested already. Most do a route 66 starting in Chicago and ending in LA. Even then there are a lot of 6-8 hrs of pure driving. I think I'd rethink the coast to coast part and concentrate on one coast or the other.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: COSMOS 23 day Trans American Tour - your experience/ideas?

Thank you so much David for your great advice - with time on our side, we will have a re-think of how we are approaching this.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,007 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: COSMOS 23 day Trans American Tour - your experience/ideas?

Several years ago we spent about 7 1/2 weeks driving across the US from Atlanta to Denver, Black Hills, Yellowstone, SLC, SF then down the coast of CA to LA and San Diego then to the Grand Canyon, San Antonio and back across the gulf coast to Atlanta. 7 1/2 weeks and still did not get to see what we wanted especially in parts of CA- only skirted Yosemite. It is on our bucket list for next year. I do not see how you could really see anything in 23 days.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: COSMOS 23 day Trans American Tour - your experience/ideas?

Thanks PeachBelle, your input is most appreciated.... yes we leave 15 Aug 14 reading between the lines I noticed that without your having completed such an extensive trip yourself, you possibly would not have known what you would prefer to go back to do in more depth - which is exactly what we are trying to achieve. A taste...

We have extended our time both at the beginning in NY and end in LA to take in more ie. drive from LA to SAN FRAN for 6 days via the coast. I am sure it will be very full on and not the ideal, but work full time & costs unfortuntately prevent us from doing it much at this time of our lives.

Reply to: COSMOS 23 day Trans American Tour - your experience/ideas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted