We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hello - Need advice - Want to visit SFO, Las vegas and GC

Bangalore, India
9 posts
Save Topic
Hello - Need advice - Want to visit SFO, Las vegas and GC

Hello Folks,

I plan to visit SFO, Las vegas and Grand Canyon in the month of July. The time frame would be somewhere starting July 26th or July 27th

I plan to fly out of Fort Lauderdale to either of SFO or Phoenix and then take a road trip either ways.

If i fly into Phoenix, i will drive all the way to SFO covering GC and Las vegas and SFO. If i fly into SFO, i will cover SFO, Las vegas , GC and fly out of Phoenix.

I am planning to rent a car from either of SFO or Phoenix and drive all the way.

I have the following questions:

-Could someone suggest me an itenary here? The splitup would really help me.

(How many nights etc in each place)

-How about the car rental? I have been told that if you were to rent a car in one place and drop it off in another place or state, they charge a very hefty fee.

I have been talking to people and have been suggested that i would need atleast 6-7 days to cover these places. I need to urgently book my flight tickets. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kiran Hegde

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,546 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hello - Need advice - Want to visit SFO, Las vegas and GC

You probably need a bit more than 6-7 days. Here's a suggested itinerary that also includes Yosemite. You can cutback some of the days here if you wish but not a lot. I've starred nights you could potentially eliminate if you wanted to shorten the trip. Yes, it will be challenging to get a good price on a rental car. You might want to do that before you book airline tickets. Oftentimes overseas brokers will have better one-way rates than going direct to car rental companies.

There's also good information in the upper right area of this page.

Day 1 - Arrival PHX

Day 2 - Drive to Grand Canyon

Day 3 - Grand Canyon *

Day 4 - Drive to Las Vegas

Day 5 - Las Vegas *

Day 6 - Drive via Death Valley to Mammoth Lakes, CA

Day 7 - Yosemite

Day 8 - Yosemite *

Day 9 - Drive to San Fran

Day 10 - San Fran

Day 11 - San Fran *

Day 12 - Departure

Have fun.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,697 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hello - Need advice - Want to visit SFO, Las vegas and GC

I would add that it's possible to do this trip in reverse order (SF to Phoenix) and if you go with that option then you don't need a car in SF so you could defer the rental until you're ready to leave SF.

Note that room rates in Las Vegas during weekends (Fri/Sat) can be 2 or 3 x midweek rates so you should try to ensure you are in LV in midweek to make your budget go further.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hello - Need advice - Want to visit SFO, Las vegas and GC

SFO is the name of the airport but I guess you will be visiting San Francisco (abb. SF).

For carrental check out brokers like www.carhire3000.com or http://www.usrentacar.co.uk/default.aspx Often no drop off charges between Az, Nv and Ca. If you rent from Ca a second drive is free.

T&C gave you a great route. If you want to enjoy your trip go for it. Between Phoenix and GC make a stop in Sedona. Between GC and Las Vegas youll find some stretches of R66 and Hoover Dam. Here's a link for the part between Las Vegas and Yosemite:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361/Califo…

You don't need a car in SF.

If you don't want to visit Death Valley and Yosemite here's anothe rote:

1. Phoenix-GC

2. GC

3. GC-Las Vegas

4. Las Vegas

5. Las Vegas-Cambria

6. Cambria-Monterey

7. Monterey-San Francisco

8, San Francisco.

Or in reverse. This routes brings you to Pacific coast and is very scenic between Cambria and Monterey.

You even can add Yosemite by driving from Monterey to it, spend 2 nights and drive to SF after that.

Make sure you have reservations at all places that time of year. Will be tough to get reservations for GC and Yosemite on such short notice.

Tet

4. Re: Hello - Need advice - Want to visit SFO, Las vegas and GC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 07, 2014