We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone NP or Yosemite NP?

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
133 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone NP or Yosemite NP?

Yes, I know both are worth seeing, but we have only a limited time to spend in these areas, and must select only one. Any thoughts on the subject?

Thanks

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,021 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone NP or Yosemite NP?

Without any idea of when you're traveling, who is in the travel group, what you enjoy seeing & doing, how many days = "limited time", and where you'll be starting, I don't think it's possible to tell you which one is better than the other.

I think it's a good idea to go to both forums for some research. Read the Top Questions & Trip Ideas in the upper right. Read the NPS information. Lurk on threads to see what others are doing.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,608 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone NP or Yosemite NP?

In addition to PNW's questions, are you planning to fly, drive, rent a car?

Pam

New Jersey
Level Contributor
415 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone NP or Yosemite NP?

As already mentioned, without more information it is hard to which is better.

They are 950 miles(1525KM) apart so depending on where you are would be a big factor.

If I had to choosw\plan a vacation based on one or the other and my choice determines the area I go to (Wyoming vs California), my preference would be Yellowstone.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone NP or Yosemite NP?

Why are you posting this on the Road Trips forum?

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone NP or Yosemite NP?

Yellowstone is much larger. Imo four nights is the minimum one should spend there. So if "limited time" means less than that I would say go to Yosemite.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone NP or Yosemite NP?

More information please, rgolan2is!

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone NP or Yosemite NP?

Good points, all of them!

The truth is that we are trying to figure out where to visit during our visit to Toronto... We know we wont have too much time (maybe 10 days altogether including flights to and from), we plan to fly in to the nearest/recommended airport, and to rent a car. We are a couple in our early 60s who like a bit of hiking (not too much - up to 4 hours at a time, not too strenuous), and hope to stay at a park hotel/motel.

Regarding the season - we are not sure yet... it will be sometime within the next 12 months (winter of course would be excluded because we dont want to visit Toronto during the cold weather).

I did look at both forums a bit, but from these two it is impossible to say which is nicer/more impressive. I decided to post this question here, because somebody asked a similar question on one of the forums, and it was suggested to post the question on this forum, where the audience is wider.

Again, it is clear to us that it is a case of preference and interests, but it would be helpful to hear what forum members liked better.

Maybe I should mention that we have traveled quite a bit, including NZ, Croatia, US, Canadian Rocky Mountains, China, Guatemala (just to name a few) and a few other very impressive and beautiful places... So it is clear we have seen quite a bit already. Now we are looking for the most impressive of the two of them (unless somebody tells me one can see both of them within the allotted time, without rushing too much).

Thanks again for all your comments.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,121 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone NP or Yosemite NP?

Yosemite is very busy in the summer months unless you go early June when waterfalls are abundant or September. Same thing can be said of Yellowstone but it is much larger in area. A good time to visit YNP with less crowds is early September.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellowstone NP or Yosemite NP?

Yosemite has stunning beauty and views, Yellowstone has that too, and the thermal features and lots of wildlife, and for that reason is my favourite US National Park.

10 days for either option would allow to see those parks and other things in the vicinity. More diversity with Yosemite as both the coast and Death Valley could fit in that timescale, whereas with Yellowdtone, you could include Grand Tetons and maybe a bit of Utah, Moab for Arches and Camyonlands, at a push.

Edited: 8:27 am, May 11, 2013
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellowstone NP or Yosemite NP?

So you will have eight days for either Yosemite or Yellowstone, exclusive of flights.

Would you combine Yosemite with other attractions in northern California, such as San Francisco? Or is it your desire to spend all eight days in national parks? E.g., you could combine Yosemite with a number of parks, including King's Canyon/Sequoia NPs.

Reservations for both Yosemite and Yellowstone go extremely rapidly, so you need to make up your minds ASAP if you conclude you want to go in May or early June of 2014. Investigate first the reservation process for both parks, especially when the reservation books first open and how rapidly rooms are booked for any given month of the year.

Yosemite's water features are fed by snow melt, and the park is at its most impressive when the water features are full. The trade-off is that parts of the park are closed until snow melt is sufficient to clear roads. So, also in order to avoid the summer rush, a visit to Yosemite may be best in late May to early June, depending upon the level of snow pack for any given year. Unfortunately, snow pack is not a known 12 months in advance.

Yellowstone arguably is the best of all national parks in the lower 48 states because of its fauna and geothermal features. Its physical charms also are magnificent. A visit in May may be best for fauna and to avoid crowds. Yellowstone sits on a super volcano and is the best place in the world to explore geothermal features.

Yellowstone visitors typically include at least a couple days for nearby Grand Teton NP, e.g., for a float trip on the Snake River.

Again, research ASAP when reservation books open for both Yellowstone and Yosemite and how rapidly reservations are booked. Perhaps use the search engines on each park's forum or post to determine the best time for you to visit. Also, especially at Yellowstone, you may want to stay at more than one lodge/cottage to minimize your in-park travel and to maximize your experience.

You can use the search engine at the top of every forum to search for anything, including trip reports for a specific destination.

Good planning!

Edited: 8:45 am, May 11, 2013