We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip to Alaska

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip to Alaska

I am planning a road trip from Salt Lake City to Alaska in the first 2 weeks of July with my wife. We plan to tow a travel trailer with our SUV. We plan to travel for 10 days going and coming back and spend 5-6 days in Alaska. I would really appreciate some help in knowing what areas to target for sightseeing, camping, for activities and staying while in Alaska. Our plan is to do a long drive to Alaska and back to enjoy the Canadian scenery and then spend about a week in Alaska.

The itinerary is to start on Day 1 and reach Fairbanks on Day 5 taking the Alaska Highway. We plan to drive 10-12 hours each day. The same is the plan while coming back. But we are not sure of what to see while in Alaska in the short 5-6 days that we have there. Some places which we want to see are listed below along with the number of days we think would be sufficient for each. The order is the sequence of travel.

Fairbanks - 1 Day

Denali National Park - 2 Days

Anchorage - 1 Day

Seward (if possible) - 1 Day

Kenai Fjords National Park (if possible) - 1 Day

Can someone please let me know if this itinerary is do-able and if the listed number of days are good enough for these places.

Thanks in advance for your guidance on this.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,473 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip to Alaska

"Can someone please let me know if this itinerary is do-able and if the listed number of days are good enough for these places."

Whilst it could be doable I have to say I dont think it's sensible - I dont mind an odd long driving day on a road trip but Salt Lake to Fairbanks is around 3,000 miles (estimated driving time is 55 hrs) which will be 5 consecutive long driving days and obviously a similar schedule on the return journey.

After all that driving you have only a limited time to see the sights in Alaska and for me it's too much driving for too little sightseeing time.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,266 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip to Alaska

I suggest flying to Anchorage and renting a RV there ... Or restricting the tour to British Columbia and the Alberta Rocky Mountain Parks... carracar

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,266 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip to Alaska

I offered the above advice... Based on a forty day. 8000 mi. trip very close to your proposal... We were in a Class "b" coach that allowed us to park most anywhere,roll out of bed at first light & DRIVE MOST EVERY DAY . We in retrospect, still felt the trip a bit rushed ...The towed trailer adds a layer of complexity for equipment issues, overnight parking and facilities... While the days will be long...You DO NOT, want to drive after dark) The trailer will also slow down your highway speeds . By all means have AAA/CAA "Plus" RV road service coverage... Happy trails, (I hope) carracar

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip to Alaska

It's technically doable, but leaves no room for improvisation, spur-of-the-moment side trips or detours, bad weather, mechanical problems or extensive road construction delays, or for doing more than the merest drive-by sightseeing.

The main issue, as I see it, is not the 5 days in each direction on the Alcan and tributaries (which is, in my view, imprudent,) it's the microscopic time allowed actually IN Alaska. Five or six days? Scratch Denali, scratch the Kenai Fjords, scratch the Richardson... pretty much scratch everything except getting to Fairbanks or Anchorage, saying, "Wow," and turning around.

It's your time and your money, so if you're set on that plan, mazel tov. If it were me, I'd be looking at a number of alternatives to this hectic (and exhausting) plan.

5. Re: Road Trip to Alaska

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 24, 2014