We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East coast road trip!

Clitheroe, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
East coast road trip!

Hello everyone, i'm planning on a road trip down the east coast this summer but i'm in 2 minds on a few destinations! I'll be flying into Newark, then i'm thinking maybe north to Portland for a couple of days, then Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC, Virginia Beach and then back up to Newark for my flight back. But i'm open to change! I can sort a car out myself, I just need help on how long to spend in each place?

What's everyones suggestions? I think i'll be travelling on my own. I love meeting people and i'll be out drinking in every place i visit so i don't want really quiet places, but i wouldn't mind visiting the smaller places that no one really knows about, off the beaten track if you will. Are Rhode island, Connecticut and Delaware worth visiting?? I love sports, especially football (soccer), however seeing a basketball or American football game is high on my list. A trip to Fenway is also on my agenda. Any help at all would be appreciated!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East coast road trip!

It sounds like the Jersey Shore would have been a great place for you. I don't know what state they will be in this year after the hurricane. My guess is they will get something figured out. A great town for having fun is Wildwood, other than Atlantic City of course. Seaside used to be great but it was hugely damaged by the storm and I doubt it will ever be like it was before. I'm sure it will not go away, but the amusement pier won't be back.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,021 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: East coast road trip!

I posted at your other thread but thought it would make more sense to give follow up comments here.

- In terms of sports, summer won't be the season for either basketball or American football. It will be baseball season, however: I would go through a reputable site like StubHub for tickets.

- I would definitely consider the beach, as it's one of the great assets of this part of the country that time of year. Cape Cod, Southern Maine, Rhode Island, Jersey Shore, and Delaware all are worth visiting. And of course Virginia Beach, though that's highly built-up: I wouldn't bother with it, but you probably have some reason to include it on your list? Naturally, prices at the beach are high for the summer, and some places can be tough to visit on shorter stay. I can give suggestions if I know more about your budget/time constraints.

- You say in the other thread that you have 20 days. Personally I don't think that's enough time to do all the cities on your list any justice, especially if you want to get off the beaten track.

- How big of an issue is weather? Nothing is possible to predict fully, but the climate can get hot in the mid-Atlantic states and tends to be cooler in New England.

- If you are going to see mostly the cities, I would consider just traveling by train. It will be quicker and easier traveling between Boston-NYC-Philly-DC that way, and in those cities having a car can be a pain.

So, all that in mind, here's what I'd suggest as a starting point for how many nights and where:

EWR to NJ shore (Avalon or Cape May, Wildwood if you want more of a party town), stay 1-2 nt

(better to save NYC till end to drop off rental car)

drive thru Delaware (Optional beach stop: Lewes or Rehoboth) to

Virginia Beach. 1-2 nts

DC 3 nts

Philadelphia 2 nts

Newport, Rhode Island, 1nt

Chatham, Cape Cod, 1nt

Boston 3 nts (4nts with a day trip)

NYC 4 nts

These are all bare minimums - each could use more time really.

3. Re: East coast road trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 07, 2014