We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental without drop off / one way rental charge

SG
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Topic
Car rental without drop off / one way rental charge

Hi,

I am planning a road trip in dec from SF - LV - GC - LV for 9 days. I would like to find out which car rental company will not have one way rental charge.

Most online car rental have a clause as below and the one way charge can be as high as $500.

Additional fees: "You could be charged additional fees for cars returned at a different time or date from the original reservation. * Optional items (ie: child seats, etc.) are on a request basis only, for an additional fee."

A quick check with dollar.co.uk and hotwire will incur $300-600 but with clause like one way rental charge going up to $500 i am not confident to book and make pre payment.

I also check with cartrawler travelbag website. The total amount is $336 with insurance but without petrol which must pay onsite. They did not mention any one way charge and no information available. Has anyone use them before?

Edited: 10:38 pm, October 31, 2012
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental without drop off / one way rental charge

Are you from UK? Are you renting the car from UK?

This company has no one way fees between SF and LV.

http://www.drive-usa.de/rental-cars/

Prices are in Euros

SG
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental without drop off / one way rental charge

hi Tet14,

I am from Singapore not uk so cant use drive usa de service.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
23,607 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental without drop off / one way rental charge

Anybody can book with the company Tet provided the link for. However, you will always be charged in Euros, which will then be converted to the currency of the credit card you used to book/pay - with an exchange rate hit, of course.

However, for rentals between SF and LV. almost all the overseas consolidators offer drop off free rentals. Try traveljigsaw/rentalcar.com or some of the other companies mentioned in this link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k4713887…

SWT

SG
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental without drop off / one way rental charge

Not sure if i interpreted it correctly as below is the term stated before i check out

The renter must have a valid European driving license. In addition to the European drivers license, an international drivers license is suggested, however it is not required (except in the state of Georgia - in Georgia an international drivers license is required). A GDR Drivers License is not permitted.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
23,607 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental without drop off / one way rental charge

I assume your comment refers to the Ts and Cs from drive-usa.de? I suspect that's because they expect renters to be from European countries, but not sure. I'd suggest you contact them first to clarify whether those from outside Europe can rent, and if so, with a valid DL from their home country.

Otherwise, try one of the other companies. I know TG will quote in SG$ which might be better for you, anyway.

SWT

SG
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental without drop off / one way rental charge

Hi,

Need some input base on below quotation I got.

9 days rental for Toyota Corolla or Similar Class: Intermediate

Pick up: San Francisco - Union, USA - California

Drop off: Las Vegas Airport, USA - Las Vegas

From travel jigsaw quoted £171.64

From rentalcars quoted SGD614.86 (£312)

Both not include one way rental charge yet.

How to find out the total with one way rental charge included and why is there a huge difference in price since both are from the same parent company???

Edited: 9:06 am, November 01, 2012
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
17,915 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental without drop off / one way rental charge

Hi.

If you give us your dates we can check directly, but it's not always surprising if you get different quotes from the same company using different domain websites. is it from the sme supplier ie. the car rental company selected? Not all offer free one-ways.

If Traveljigsaw have quoted that, then contact them and get them to confirm it includes all fees and charges, including any one way which should be free with Alamo or Dollar on that route.

You might want to try www.usrentacar.co.uk also for comparison.

belgium
Level Contributor
85 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental without drop off / one way rental charge

Hi, I rented this summer with carrental.com prices where great less than 600$ for 15 days for grand cherokee limited. No drop off charges.You can also check carhire3000

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,815 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental without drop off / one way rental charge

This question is just a "shot in the dark" so to speak, but xemega are you by any chance a Costco member? I don't know if Costco is in Singapore?

I would also suggest you post on the California forum (and/or Los Angeles and San Francisco) since you may get information from other travellers from Singapore who have rented cars.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental without drop off / one way rental charge

I'm looking to fly into Houston, and then drive a rental to San Antonio. The Avis website did not include the "drop-off" fee in my final quote, which has now been booked. I have received a confirmation email showing my estimated total as $145. I triple checked everything, locations, dates, etc. I even called Avis and the agent told me there was a glitch in the system and that there should be an additional $150 added to the rental.

Since I have an email showing estimated $145, and not the $300 the agent quoted me on the phone (I never gave her my name), would it be safe of me to fly into Houston? This would save me $100 on the flight, plus an additional 4hr drive from San Antonio to Houston, and then back again.