We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Ridge Parkway

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
305 posts
1,150 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Ridge Parkway

As part of a 6 week trip to the US in September/October we are considering a couple of days driving Skyline Park and Blue Ridge Parkway however prior to this we will be travelling from Niagara Falls through New York state and New England and was wondering if the scenery will be similar in these areas or are they all unique experiences?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Having lived in New England all my life, and then traveling through the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway area a few years ago, I'd say to do both if you reasonably can. This is just my opinion, but both are very beautiful and unique.

Edited: 9:23 am, March 06, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,072 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Yes try to drive at least one way- scenery is beautiful but leaf change is much latter than in New England.

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
502 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Hi Linda,

Yes, in some ways these areas are alike - mountains of the East Coast are more rolling and gentle rather than soaring and dramatic like the Rockies.

However, New England has a very specific charm with lots of colonial buildings and a different feel in general (spent my whole life there until the last five years when we moved to NC). North Carolina, on the other hand, is the South and because of that has its own culture. The food, the music, the people (and the spectacular drive on Blue Ridge Parkway) is all very much worth your time...

Hope this helps!

Tara

Edited: 11:25 am, March 06, 2012
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

This might help some. Enjoy your trip.

BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY..................

memorable-beach-vacations.com/blue-ridge-par…

romanticasheville.com/BlueRidgeParkway.htm

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Both areas are wonderful and scenic and quite different. Traveling through New York and New England you will be going between cities and towns on roads that can be quite busy. You can pick and choose among a lot of options.

The parkway is much more leisurely travel and it is literally a park. You go very close to towns and even see private property right by it, but you can travel its entire length and hardly have to deal with any commercialization at all. There are many pull-offs to look at panoramas, but there are also many areas to explore where you're just in among the trees and rocks. IMO the fall colors were more varied and just as nice as New England's this past fall. Do both if you can.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
305 posts
1,150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Thank you all very much for your responses. They are very helpful in our decision making and much appreciated. Sounds like we will be doing at least part of the drive. We will bestarting from Washington DC and have 2 nights to do the Skyline and part of the Blue ridge Parkway. We have to be back at Dulles International Airport by midday on the 3rd day to get a flight back to LAX. I assume the Skyline will take the best part of one day and the rest of the time on the Parkway. Should that fit?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
305 posts
1,150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Thank you all very much for your responses. They are very helpful in our decision making and much appreciated. Sounds like we will be doing at least part of the drive. We will bestarting from Washington DC and have 2 nights to do the Skyline and part of the Blue ridge Parkway. We have to be back at Dulles International Airport by midday on the 3rd day to get a flight back to LAX. I assume the Skyline will take the best part of one day and the rest of the time on the Parkway. Should that fit?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
305 posts
1,150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

As the others have said, both areas are beautiful and noticeably different. The issue with the Skyline drive and the BRP are the speed limits, very low. Also, there are loads of turn outs to park and take photos, spot bird of prey soaring above you and other wildlife, if you're lucky, to waylay you. If you have time constraints, you may need to drive as much as you have time for, before heading off to a faster parallel road. These are less beautiful, of course, but much faster. Depending on where you are, it can take 15 drive to reach a parallel road. Also, do note there are no fuel stops along the way.

SWT

Edited: 7:43 am, March 07, 2012
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,436 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blue Ridge Parkway

Front Royal-- take the skyline Dr down to Waynesboro. Can do it in a day, no problem. Lots of pull offs. From there, it will be the blue ridge parkway. I like the very beginning of it-- nice overlook and small cabin settlement to take a look at. After that-- the pull offs are not like skyline drive at all. So-- maybe do a little of it, then head out to you next place to be.