We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in USA - Las Vegas to Salt Lake

Hauraki Plains
Level Contributor
29 posts
35 reviews
Driving in USA - Las Vegas to Salt Lake

Dumb as this may sound, and you can laugh, I would.

In left hand drive vehicles are the brake and accelerator opposite to ours (right hand drive) ie: do you use your left foot for accelerator? Husband has condencended to let us hire a vehicle from Las Vegas around Grand canyon area.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
12,059 posts
1. Re: Driving in USA - Las Vegas to Salt Lake

No, but remember no clutch so tuck away your left foot, but you probably don't drive a stick shift anyway!

Edited: 3:27 pm, October 31, 2011
Hauraki Plains
Level Contributor
29 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Driving in USA - Las Vegas to Salt Lake

Does this means all cars are automatic?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Driving in USA - Las Vegas to Salt Lake

Almost all cars are automatic. It will be very tough to get a handshifted car.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
12,059 posts
4. Re: Driving in USA - Las Vegas to Salt Lake

As Tet says, you can be 99.999% certain you will get an automatic. In fact the only manuals I've seen are the european imported supercars like Maserati and Bugatti, for rent on the LV strip.

Oh, you will probably need your left foot to engage and disengage the parking brake which usually is a pedal on the far left, haven't seen a hand applied one in a long time.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
16,223 posts
40 reviews
5. Re: Driving in USA - Las Vegas to Salt Lake

muffin - that's a perfectly sensible and reasonable question to ask! And I'm sure you're not the first person planning to drive, say, in the USA for the first time ever, coming from a country which sensibly drives on the correct side of the road (..... and now I wait for all the complaints on here ;-)) to think, if not ask that. I certainly wondered about the same thing before I ever drove on the other side. However, as that was so long ago, and both of us are so used to driving on the wrong side, whether in North America or Europe, that we've forgotten what it as like first time. And now, as both of our cars are automatics, we have the same problem most North Americans have if we find ourselves with a rented stick shift/gear change car!

Just, as Valiants says, apart from engaging or releasing the parking brake, put that left foot on the foot rest and keep it there, and use the right foot for everything as you drive.

Of course, most cars now come with cruise control. If you've cause to do long stretches on Interstates with little traffic, you end up using neither foot!!!

SWT

BTW: How's progress on your trip? Do you have it all planned out or need any more help?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
130 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Driving in USA - Las Vegas to Salt Lake

Why bother to ask? Just get in the car and experiment a few times to figure it out! lol.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
101 reviews
7. Re: Driving in USA - Las Vegas to Salt Lake

Perfectly reasonable question...had it a million years ago myself, before the invention of the internet when I first did a car hire from Gatwick. My feet were completely relieved to know THEY were in the right position!

You'll do fine!

Pam

UK
Level Contributor
115 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Driving in USA - Las Vegas to Salt Lake

why are the americans not fond of manuals? I cant imagine not being able to burn out the gears for overtaking, or dropping the gear to get up a steep slope, or being in control of the gears in general. Gonna be daunting driving on the right hand side too, but I heard americans have better planned roads than we have in the UK, some of the roads in scotland are just diabolical, should be a good challenge though

Hauraki Plains
Level Contributor
29 posts
35 reviews
9. Re: Driving in USA - Las Vegas to Salt Lake

Thanks for all the helpful info. If I could just get my husband to agree on anything I could do more planning, but he just says, we will think about it. All I know we have our flights paid for so for him it is a fete accompli. 13 yrd old wants to go to Disneyland, Mt Rushmore and Chicago. I just want a peaceful existance. Husband wants to raft on the Colorado river. So I am thinking going by train L A to San Francisco, a few days there and then to Denver for Mt Rushmore, this is probably where we will hire the car. Then Train to Chicago, then train back teh other route to Williams for the Grand Canyon and then back to LA. Don't know about Salt Lake any more. What do you lot think? Is it worth a few days or not? Because of school holidays here we have to go in April and I think places like Yellowstone etc are kind of closed off?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
10. Re: Driving in USA - Las Vegas to Salt Lake

April is not a good time for Yellowstone and also not for Black Hills South Dakota. River Rafting on the Colorado takes at least 3 days to much longer and will start from Lees ferry. There's a smooth riverrraft from Page that's highly recommend and only will take some 5-6 hours. Denver to Mnt Rushmore is a daytrip in itself.

You can use an automatic as handshifted also. I always use it in steep and long mountainroads. I drive an automatic at home also and never want to get back to an hand shifted car.

If you go by train between LA and SF you'll miss the fantastic coast between Cambria and Carmel on hw1 Rent a car!

If you insist on a trainride I'd do this between SLC and Denver (if it's a dayride..). How long are you coming? Think you are underestimating traveltime and distances.

Tet