I wonder if any experts or residents of these states could offer an opinion on my intended itinerary for July 2012 road trip. Grateful for your input!
-We are a couple in our 30s from the UK.
-We don't mind the driving.
-We like walks/strolls/views but aren't hikers.
-The original intention of our trip was Yellowstone only, but we have expanded it to try and see some of the best of the neighbouring states as this is a once-only trip and unlikely we will be able to return. In the UK we don't have any of these landscapes!
-Flights are to/from Vegas and Denver from the UK. Others are prohibitive due to cost.
Other specific things I'd like to ask opinions on, referring to below itinerary are:
1) is the Beartooth highway accessible without problems in mid July
2) Are there any glaring errors in the itinerary (I have missed out so many places to visit as we cannot do everything in 3 weeks so trying to see the "best of the best")
3) One of our days (marked) is 4th July so any tips about problems this may pose with reference to our whereabouts on that day would be appreciated.
4) Unsure in July whether to stay in 1 place in Yellowstone or to book several and move around.
5) Would an America The Beautiful Pass be the sensible option (I can't quite work out how many of our intended areas are covered by this)
Day 1: (sat) Arrive Vegas evening from UK. Stay in Vegas
Day 2: (Sun) Vegas. Stay in Vegas.
Day 3: (Mon) Leave Vegas morning. Drive to Flagstaff and on to meteor crater. Drive to Grand Canyon South Rim before sunset. Stay GC.
Day 4: (Tues) Grand Canyon morning. Drive to Page to arrive by sunset. Stay in Page.
Day 5: (Wed) (**This will be 4th July**) Page, horseshoe bend. Leave Page and drive to Monument Valley by sunset. Stay in MV
Day 6: (Thurs) Explore MV. Drive to Moab. Stay in Moab.
Day 7: (Fri) Moab/Arches. Stay in Moab.
Day 8: (Sat) Quick view of another Park or dinosaur tracks and then on to Salt Lake City. Stay SLC.
Day 9: (Sun) Salt Lake City morning. Leave for Jackson. Stay Jackson
Day 10: (Mon) Jackson / Grand Teton. Stay.
Day 11: (Tues) Grand Teton. Stay
Day 12 :(Wed) Drive to Yellowstone. Stay
Day 13: (Thur) Yellowstone
Day 14: (Fri) Yellowstone
Day 15: (Sat) Yellowstone
Day 16: (Sun) Yellowstone
Day 17: (Mon) Yellowstone
Day 18: (Tue) Yellowstone
Day 19: (Wed) Drive to Cody via Beartooth. Arrive before sunset. Stay in Cody
Day 20: (Thurs) Cody. Rodeo. Stay in Cody
Day 21: (Fri) Drive from Cody to Denver or nearby – all day drive.
Day 22: (Sat) In Denver then fly to UK
With many thanks in advance!