We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houston to Grand Canyon?

Houston, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Houston to Grand Canyon?

My husband and I really want to go on vacation with the family. He's been in school so we haven't been able to travel at all.

We have 4 kids (2, 5, 11, 15) and have been really considering driving from Houston to the Grand Canyon over Spring break. We've taken short (5-6 hr) road trips with the kids, but nothing like this. So we just don't know what to expect.

Im just wondering how many days we would really need to get there, suggested stops along the way, or any other info/advice would be great..just not sure what we're getting into.

Thanks!

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Houston to Grand Canyon?

When your kids have Spring Break? Depends on time but you may need to consider winter conditions. With 2 and 5 year olds you may want to have short days of driving. Only you know your kids so it is hard to say how long it takes to get from Houston to Grand Canyon. Are you traveling in RV?

Houston, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Houston to Grand Canyon?

Spring Break here is March 14th. We were thinking of leaving the 11th/12th. Is this a bad time to go weather wise? What about crowds-do you know if this is a crowded time? We have no idea what to expect once we get there, I have heard ppl say they wait for hours in crowds.

We're traveling in our own vehicle, not an RV.

I know the lil kids will be good for several hours in the car, we travel a lot, just not ever this far. We're not really sure if there are any great places to stop overnight-maybe make a day of it in the town, if we should drive through TX then stop or just stay in TX then go on.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Houston to Grand Canyon?

Hi

It's 1300 miles between Houson and Grand Canyon Village and 1300 miles back of course. Shortest is via Dallas to I40 to Amarillo, ABQ and Flagstaff. (all interstates or 4-lanes highway) Can't predict weather. No mountain passes on your way. From ABQ you'll climb on I40 to app. 5000' and 7000'' in Flagstaff. Can be a windy stretch and there may be snow but also fine weather.

It really is a lot of driving. We usually point a 55 mph average on stretches like the one you want to take so it's a 23 hours drive one with some stops and if traffic allows. Don't rely on the travelplanners. The don't allow stops or busy traffic.

I think it's a too long trip with 5-6 days. Have you ever been to Big Bend National Park, Guadalupe Mountains NP or Carlsbad Caverns NP?

I would not worry about the crowds in GCNP. You'll need a reservation anyway at www.grandcanyonlodges.com or www.tusayanhotels.com

Tet

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,060 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Houston to Grand Canyon?

agree with Tet. It's a long haul in just a week's time. 3 days drive each way. You might be better to make it a summer trip and make lots of stops coming and going and add other things in the area.

We do many road trips driving from Ohio to the western places. Typically 20+ hours of driving to get where we want to be. Just my husband and I, so do not have to worry about long travel days with kids. With just the 2 of us, I would not drive that far just to see the GC and then have to turn around and head back. We take a couple of weeks to wander the areas once we're there to make the long trip out worthwhile.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
421 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Houston to Grand Canyon?

It is a lot of time driving to the Grand Canyon especially with young children.

Tet14 has several good suggestions. Carlsbad is around 650 miles from Houston - 9-10 hours driving stopping only long enough to put gas in the car.

I would add White Sands National Monument in New Mexico to the list - about 175 miles from Carlsbad and return to Houston via El Paso.

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
502 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Houston to Grand Canyon?

Hi blu-yin-

I agree with the rest of the gang here - it's too much driving in too short a time with younger kids in the car. If you haven't gone on a trip yet to Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands, those are suggestions that are really outstanding. Both are mindblowing - exciting enough to keep the kids as well as the adults entertained and not as far of a drive.

Tara

Houston, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Houston to Grand Canyon?

Thanks for all the info. I've worried mostly abt having enough time to get there and do what we want to.

We havent been to any of the places mentioned so we are going to look at everything and see what we are going to do. Due to my husbands work and his crazy schedule we wouldnt be able to take longer than a week off, so even if we went in the summer we would still have the same time issue.

It's great to have all this input, i'll let you know what we decide :)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Houston to Grand Canyon?

There's a lot more to see in the SE corner of New Mexico. You can post on the NM forum but we also can give you more info here. In Tx near Amarillo is Palo Duro Canyon SP. Awesome as well. White Sands is a great place (not sand but gypsum) and the kids can sled down the dunes. Bring sunglasses and sunscreen......Between Carlsbad and White Sands you can drive via Cloudcroft at 9000' and lots of mountains in that area. Etc. etc.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Houston to Grand Canyon?

I think the trip is doable over nine days, counting the weekends, but there's a weather factor. In March the average temps at 7000' elevation Grand Canyon Village are highs in the 50's and lows below freezing. You might get out there and have snow everywhere. GC is beautiful with snow, but I don't know what you would do with your kids if it's too cold for outdoor activity.

On the other hand, March is an ideal time to visit far West Texas. You'll likely find wild flowers abloom in Big Bend NP which is very scenic. Terlingua is an almost-ghost town that's interesting and fun. Marfa has acquired an artsy reputation in addition to its famed Marfa lights. You could visit San Antonio and/or the Hill Country on the way out or back. Nine days is just about right for that trip. Here's a link to my West Texas go list tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18352-Far_West…

Edited: 5:31 pm, January 20, 2011
10. Re: Houston to Grand Canyon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:34 am, January 22, 2012