We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hitch Hiking

Cornwall, UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hitch Hiking

Hi guys - I know interstate laws vary, but a friend and I are planning a coast to coast trip and are under 25, meaning car rental comes with hefty surcharges. Being two 6ft+ guys we are less worried about safefy, but were wondering if anyone had any experiences they could share about trying to get lifts around the US?

We are planning to Amtrak and Greyhound where possible, but hitching seems like a handy (if a little unreliable!) way of getting around the smaller places not served so well by public transport (national parks etc)

Any tips or information anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

(we going late Aug- early Oct, SF to NY via texas etc if it helps)

thanks!

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hitch Hiking

I think this is probably a bad idea, both from a safety standpoint (even if you are both big guys) and the fact that most folks are to cautious and will not pick up hitch-hikers these days (I used to pick up hitch-hikers 25 years ago, but no longer). I would say the bus and Amtrak would be the best bets.

Perhaps you could use the bus and trains to get from major point-to-point, then rent a car while is the area to see the sights, then drop the car and get back on the bus and head for the next region. Could save you some cash, since you will not be renting the car for the whole trip and you aviod drop-off fees.

Also, once you get to a national park, there is usually some sort of shuttle service within the park so that you can get around without driving your self (not all parks offer this, however).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hitch Hiking

Two young largish guys will not get picked up by most drivers.

In this day and age of everybody being afraid of everybody -- sometimes with good reason, I admit -- I'm thinking the only places you might get consistent rides are at truck stops. With your accents and a good friendly attitude, that might work out well for you, and be reasonably safe.

You'll have more luck in rural areas, but still people are hesitant nowadays. You can always try marking your backpacks with the Union Jack, that might help a bit :-)

As far as your overall safety, do use common sense. You are planning to take ATM cards so you aren't carrying great wads of cash, right?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,217 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hitch Hiking

I would agree with the above posters. I doubt you will get a ride. Sad to say, but a fact of life now. My husband used to hitchhike home from college (30 years ago) and his father hitchhiked across the US years before that. Now? It's not safe and no one wants to pick up a hitchhiker anymore particularly males. You might get lucky at a truck stop, but... not sure if even they are open to that anymore either.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hitch Hiking

Hi

Maybe read this thread http://www.digihitch.com/usa-map.html

Hitch Hiking isn't ver popular any more after my fellowcountryman Rutger Hauer made this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTkRRXeQb2E

Tet

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hitch Hiking

I don't think it would be consistent enough to get you to more remote locations like national parks. Plus, all the time you'd be wasting trying to get rides would make a significant portion of those expensive airline tickets for naught.

6. Re: Hitch Hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 25, 2010