We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thermoelectric Cooler for Road trip?

northeast
Level Contributor
247 posts
13 reviews
29 helpful votes
Thermoelectric Cooler for Road trip?
Save

Just bought an Igloo Iceless Cooler today for our cross country road trip this summer. Wondering if anyone else has one and if you like it?

I plan on using the 12v plug when we are in the car and then plugging it in at night with the adapter plug in the hotels. May also get get a portable power pack to run it while we are out hiking and car is not running to not drain the car battery.

Just looking to see if anyone has had experience with them?

Thanks!

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
28,620 posts
27 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Thermoelectric Cooler for Road trip?
Save

got rid of mine -

you will want to buy ice to put in the cooler if you really want to keep things cold.

and your accessories plugs (old cigaretter lighter) needs to be one that works without the car on if you were to use the car battery.

northeast
Level Contributor
247 posts
13 reviews
29 helpful votes
2. Re: Thermoelectric Cooler for Road trip?
Save

Thanks!

I do understand that it needs to be prechilled for a few hours as well as the food you put in it which shouldn’t be a problem for us.

I will also have another ice cooler for things like meat that we won’t open every day. Thinking this will be more for things like drinks, cheese sticks, yogurt, etc.

Anyone else have one?

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
21,869 posts
107 reviews
72 helpful votes
3. Re: Thermoelectric Cooler for Road trip?
Save

Nope sounds like a lot of work to me. We got a Yeti instead. Holds ice for days. I think it should work fine tho as long as you keep power to it. The reviews on most of them are pretty good.

Derry, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
7,615 posts
278 reviews
142 helpful votes
4. Re: Thermoelectric Cooler for Road trip?
Save

I always heard that they didn't keep things very cold. If you want longer term (than regular ice) cooler storage, look at dry ice packs: http://dryiceideas.com/retail-locator/

northeast
Level Contributor
247 posts
13 reviews
29 helpful votes
5. Re: Thermoelectric Cooler for Road trip?
Save

Just wanted to give an update. I did purchase the Igloo Iceless one along with an adapter plug to use with a regular outlet. I plugged it in my house for thirty minutes to try it out the first day. Within that time it cooled down extremely quickly and was as cold as my fridge. I then unplugged it and left it closed. Two hours later I opened it and it was still cold. So that was promising.

We then used it for a day trip in the car and it worked perfectly for us.

I think when we use it on our extended road trip I will freeze a bottle of water to leave in it when we turn it off to go hiking, etc. and are not near any hotels.

So all in all, for us it was a great purchase and one I am glad I found.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
15,610 posts
215 reviews
136 helpful votes
6. Re: Thermoelectric Cooler for Road trip?
Save

On 120v it will lower/cool its internal temperature some (not like a real fridge). On 12v in a car it will help maintain a cool temperature (better than a ‘non-cooling’ cooler); but it will not make the internal temperature drop.

Like any cooler, the key is pre-cooling the cooler; good, hard ice; packing it with cold food; opening it infrequently (& quickly); and keeping it in cool/shaded areas.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
10,356 posts
277 reviews
302 helpful votes
7. Re: Thermoelectric Cooler for Road trip?
Save

we had a small kooltron that worked great but quit on us way sooner than it should've! We only used it for road trips, so... it did not hold up very well. It cooled just fine tho. We also have a much larger Coleman one. That we used for one trip only cause it was a pain in the butt to cart in every night :) (hence getting the smaller one) On the other hand, our son used the larger one a couple of times when traveling for convention- he stayed put in a hotel room for 10 days or so and the cooler was used as a fridge for the grandson's bottles and kids lunch items. Honestly, all coolers are a pain in some form or another. They require some effort- You'll be fine- just don't leave it plugged it more than 4? hours in the car while you're out hiking.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
9,812 posts
337 reviews
342 helpful votes
8. Re: Thermoelectric Cooler for Road trip?
Save

i've had very good luck with our koolatrons.... the key is to pack blue ice and/or freeze a coupla water bottles (NEVER EVER use regular bag ice) in the cooler.... i plug it into the 12v outlet in the pickup bed while driving, and use the 120 vac adaptor in hotel rooms and powered campsites..... don't let it run off your car battery for more than 1/2 hour as you'll run the battery down---been there, done that! i've had stuff stay cold in 85º F weather for 4-5 days...... we use the regular coleman cooler for keeping stuff cool (some fruit, peanut butter etc) and for non-perishables.... i've had the koolatrons for 10 years....

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
17,179 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Thermoelectric Cooler for Road trip?
Save

Next test...still chilled cooler is your sunbacked car fir 3 hrs and see what happens.

10. Re: Thermoelectric Cooler for Road trip?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 15, 2019
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.