We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip Deep South

Rju
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Topic
Roadtrip Deep South

Hi, I will have 4-6 nights to go on a solo roadtrip of the south before meeting friends in Florida. I am planning on starting and ending in Nashville to avoid one way car rental fees. I am thinking of going to Nashville, Memphis, Vicksburg (worth it?) and Birmingham or Montgomery. I know it will be fast but I like driving and want a taste. But, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Also, are these places safe solo and are there affordable motels?

Many thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,263 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip Deep South

Yes. Nashville hotels will be most expensive.

I would do Nashville to Birmingham to Vicksburg to Memphis to Nashville.

Birmingham is not much of a tourist destination.

Rju
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Roadtrip Deep South

Thank you for your reply. Do you recommed somewhere else in alabama? Looking for history, nature, music, food, etc?..

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,263 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roadtrip Deep South

You will find some history and good restaurants in Birmingham. It is not a music spot. There are some lakes north and east of city.

For nature we like the Fort Payne area but that is really not on your route.

Huntsville near I 65 has the Rocket and Space center.

Muscle Shoals is known for music but don't know if any live music venues now.

4. Re: Roadtrip Deep South

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 01, 2018