We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Website/App for Planning Group Trip

Sandys, Bermuda
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Best Website/App for Planning Group Trip

What is the best website for planning a group trip? I love the Tripadvisor save function, but only one participant can contribute. For sharing, I would normally just use a google doc but 2/3 participants can't access google docs at work. I'm looking for a website where multiple participants can share/save/edit travel suggestions, potential accommodations, activities, etc. Thanks!

40 replies to this topic
Jackson, Ohio
Level Contributor
755 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Website/App for Planning Group Trip

Have you seen Trip It?

https://www.tripit.com/

it is an elegant phone app with a web version

I never leave home without it

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,390 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Website/App for Planning Group Trip

You can set up a free private Facebook group. It would only be visible to the people you invite to be members. Can then share documents etc which each person can download as needed.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,116 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Website/App for Planning Group Trip

If the group members need to access it from work and Google Docs is blocked on their network, I can pretty much guarantee that Facebook and any other social network or blog site will also be blocked. A FB group would be the logical choice, and smart phone access may be able to overcome the network filters.

Be careful how much feedback you request. Organizing a group trip is a royal pain. You will never be able to accommodate everyone's wishes which can lead to major drama. I swore it off years ago other than stating:

1. These are MY dates.

2. These are MY flights.

3. Here is MY hotel.

4. If you need help booking, I will be happy to assist - using YOUR credit card.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,941 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Website/App for Planning Group Trip

Excellent advice in #3. You absolutely do not want to accept liability for costs incurred by any friends if you want them to remain as friends after the trip and do not want to be out of pocket afterwards.

You may get better advance group rates for hotels or conveyances but these would depend on the number of truly committed bookings. These may provide good deals but you are not paid for dealing with undecided group members. :-( You will be in deep trouble if you are looking for more than one destination - the number of divergent opinions will be exponential.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
354 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Website/App for Planning Group Trip

There is a "community based" site with this sort of shared discussion environment in development that I'm aware of. It's focussed on giving a group a private area to chat/discuss their plans, and a bunch of tools for research and booking. Won't be live for a month or so though.

As already said - let people make their own bookings, and pay themselves and most importantly take responsibility for any typos in names and passport numbers that may cause issues.

Pune, Maharashtra...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Website/App for Planning Group Trip

https://travefy.com

Mumbai, India
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Website/App for Planning Group Trip

There is this site called www.mytripkarma.com, It lets you invite your friends and plan your trip from a single interface and fetches data from multiple Online travel agents to offer the best deals and prices

Goiania, GO
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Website/App for Planning Group Trip

http://app.voila.social

It's in the initial stage but is the better I've seen util now..

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
8,029 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Website/App for Planning Group Trip

i travel solo, so my experience in "group" travel is zero.

But i like to play with things and see how they work. Its about the only way you will know if it fits what you want.

As mentioend tripit was one app that i tried. I tried it again a few weeks ago, but it still didnt give me that warm and fuzzy feeling to do it all on it.

I still use Google Maps. just from my use it appears you can "share" the map. I havent done so, but it doesnt take an act of Congress to do so.

i played around with this app too. like the tripit, it didnt float my boat. Im hoping they can do some addition work on it since it about as close as i have found to how i would like it to work - at least on what i do on my trip planning.

https://travel.sygic.com

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Website/App for Planning Group Trip

TripAdvisor has public forums for just such purposes.

Reply to: Best Website/App for Planning Group Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;