We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for iPhone travel app that does...

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
161 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for iPhone travel app that does...

Hello. I would like to find a travel app that allows me to save the locations of places that I choose (restaurants, concert halls, museums, hotels, etc.) to a map. I've tried google maps in the past, but it was a pain. It would be preferable if I can enter the information on my MacBook Pro or iPad and transfer it to the iPhone. But will work with whatever is out there. Thanks.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for iPhone travel app that does...

sojourner7,

ive been using "my places" in google maps. i dont think its that difficult since ive just started using such a thing. what i would like to do is to be able to view it offline, but thats a different story.

also, i create all of my maps on my desktop mac. so it frees up my cell time. ymmv.

Edited: 9:19 pm, March 18, 2014
U.S.A.
Level Contributor
161 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for iPhone travel app that does...

I've used “My Places” for several vacations and never found it useful. From what I remember, you have to touch all the push pins to even see what they mean. So, just looking at the map tells you nothing. And the push pins are hard to touch unless you zoom way in. All I can remember is how disappointed I was every time I used it when traveling.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,065 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for iPhone travel app that does...

I don't know what these pins are. On my iPhone, the places I saved to my places are in a list. If I click on it then it will appear on the map and give me directions. There are pins on the desktop map but there is also a list.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for iPhone travel app that does...

"2. Re: Looking for iPhone travel app that does...

Mar 18, 2014, 10:14 PM

I've used “My Places” for several vacations and never found it useful. From what I remember, you have to touch all the push pins to even see what they mean. So, just looking at the map tells you nothing. And the push pins are hard to touch unless you zoom way in. All I can remember is how disappointed I was every time I used it when traveling."

this is true.

if you can find/download a copy of "google maps engine" (its free), it will allow you to change the map pins to map pins with names/descriptions. In my opinion, it just make the map more cluttered. The catch, it has it limitations and you must buy the pro version to get more things. But you can try it for free and see how you like it. to me, it feels like a beta version since some of the things suck in its operation.

Just a comment. I use the "my places" so far. But what i do is to use different color pins w/and w/o dots and other icons to make my map more readable for me. I will use all one color map pin for things to do/see and another color for food/eats. It still doesnt have any info on it, but i can see at a glance if its a food or thing to do/see.

i will also change the pin to a train for a "train station" and a plane for the "airport". They have a list of icons available and you can add/download your own if you choose.

Also, you can make your own too. I guess if you wanted to you could make custom icons with just words in them, but i would bet youre limited to the number of pixels. Maybe "M" for museum and "C" for Church...ect.

Edited: 2:46 am, March 20, 2014
Manila, Philippines
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for iPhone travel app that does...

oMaps allows iPhone owners to download maps to destinations ahead of time, then browse through them on the phone without the use of 3G or a connection to the internet. Based off the OpenStreetMap service, otherwise referred to as the Wikipedia of map pages, this service may not be as detailed as Google, but overall should be more than suitable, especially in heavily populated areas.

For instance, it still provides point-of-interest info related to restaurants, ATMs and mass transit stations. Also, since your phone's GPS functionality does not require a data connection to work, users can still press the GPS button to view where they are located on downloaded maps. Considering the savings this application offers, along with the possibility to still provide quite a bit of guidance in areas where there is no cell phone signal, it's an iPhone user's best bet for avoiding being completely lost in a foreign place.

6. Re: Looking for iPhone travel app that does...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 22, 2015