We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with an iPad Mini

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with an iPad Mini

I have been reading through the threads on "What tablet?" and a lot of people have either an iPad Mini or similar-sized tablet that they travel with. I am interested in getting one to either replace or complement my netbook for our next trip but am unsure whether it will be big enough for comfortably reading my Lonely Planet e-books.

I have a Sony e-reader that is OK for the text part of the books but is too small to display the maps and graphics so I want something that is a lot better for this purpose. Does anybody have Lonely Planet e-books on their iPad Mini or similar sized tablet and if so, are you able to view the maps well?

Same goes for Google Maps or "Maps" on the iPad - are they sufficiently clear enough to read whilst navigating around a city or town? I have had a play instore to compare a standard-sized iPad with an iPad Mini and the former's size is definitely better when using Maps but is the smaller screen not that great a disadvantage "in the field", so to speak?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,879 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with an iPad Mini

I bought a new iPad Mini last summer and took it on its first trip recently (two weeks in Mexico). I had traveled in the past with a regular iPad. The Mini, you will find, is about the same size as a guidebook, with the advantage that you can easily enlarge any page (have the salesperson show you how). I prefer an app called Notability for downloading LP chapters (you can buy just the chapters you want) instead of the default iBooks; with Notability you can scribble notes and highlight sections just as you would in a real guidebook. You can also download PDFs on the same app (such as tour info) and use blank pages for writing notes about your trip.

The pre-installed Maps app seemed comprehensive and accurate with enough detail to help me find my way. Again, it's easy to enlarge the pages.

My traveling companion was so impressed with all that I could do with the Mini that she plans to buy one, too.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,016 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with an iPad Mini

Agree that the mini is easier to carry around. It is flexible as you can always enlarge the screen so ease of reading is not an issue.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
7,756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with an iPad Mini

@ foxymx,

I decided to buy and try a Note 3 5.7" for my goto device on this trip. I think its just large enough to do "my maps" and other things. But i dont plan on using it 24/7 reading or even on the plane. I bought it strictly to replace my 1.5" 3 ring binder with all of my itinerary info and if necessary to access the www for last minute changes in reservations.

I have all of "my maps" setup for my travels this year and i have used it locally to test how well the realtime GPS/Directions work and it does a great job of it. I dont plan on driving over there, but will use it for reference to my to do/see places. I will have the ability to carry it with me everywhere, but i will probably leave it in my room and use a paper map since it will take up less space on my body.

Edited: 12:10 am, March 08, 2014
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
7,756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with an iPad Mini

forgot to add,

I did look and play with the ipad mini in the store, but i felt it was too large for what i wanted to do/use.

It will be interesting to see what apple comes up with in terms of larger iphones since i know many apple users will be happy to move up to a larger screen.

5. Re: Traveling with an iPad Mini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 10, 2015