We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What kind of backpack for backpacking Europe?

Buffalo, New York
4 posts
What kind of backpack for backpacking Europe?

A friend of mine (American) will be backpacking across Europe from the U.K. over the summer for at least a month and it's her first backpacking experience so she has no idea how to begin (neither do I, obviously). She first wants to know, from those who are experienced backpackers/vagabonds, what pack is a good one for beginners? Not crazy expensive, either, but a good, solid pack that she can carry her essentials and more in (sleeping bags, pillows, toiletries, clothing, memorabilia, etc.) for about $200 USD or less. Any thoughts?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,743 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: What kind of backpack for backpacking Europe?

First of all, why do you need a sleeping bag? Are you camping?

In any case my backpacking thoughts are Reply #2 here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12530-k6448679…

Have fun and good luck with your research.

Cheers,

Terry

worlddivingtraveller
Level Contributor
47 posts
198 reviews
2. Re: What kind of backpack for backpacking Europe?

go to a proper travel out fitter,(like Snow&Rock here in the UK) they are properly the same price as 'amazoon' now anyway, but you will get a pack that suits YOU, tailored to YOU by a trained adviser... someone has to contribute to that, but it is money well spent.

get a major brand like Lowe Pro or Berghaus - they are not the very cheapest but you will son see why - they are designed properly, and in high quality to take ALL the abuse you will throw at it.

Dont skimp on something cheap on an internet site, you will regret it after your first few uses !

Busan, South Korea
Level Contributor
28 posts
3. Re: What kind of backpack for backpacking Europe?

He didn't mention sleeping bag is mostly because he had sleeping bag yet.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,743 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: What kind of backpack for backpacking Europe?

Huh?

Cheers,

Terry

Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,434 posts
152 reviews
5. Re: What kind of backpack for backpacking Europe?

If your chum is planning to fly (rather than coach and train) she needs to consider the weight and size restrictions that low cost carriers impose on cabin luggage.

And on the sleeping bag issue - she will find that rough camping is not often available though youth hostels (where sleeping bags are not needed) certainly are.

Hope she has a great time.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: What kind of backpack for backpacking Europe?

We traveled Europe for 6 weeks with 35 liter packs which were the perfect size. We left our sleeping bags at home but sewed a single sheet into a sleeping sack for hostels.

Easy to wash out clothes in lodgings.

We saw others struggling to get on public transportation with these huge, awkward backpacks.

My other suggestion is to get a neutral, non-descript color, not a gaudy bright color whereby one sticks out like a sore thumb!

Edited: 11:10 am, January 23, 2014
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: What kind of backpack for backpacking Europe?

I would recommend the Kelty Redwing 50. I've used it in South America and it's about $115. It has a waist belt, padding and a frame like hiking pack and can open a bit like a suitcase which is nice for easily accessing gear or clothes deep inside of the backpack. The size of the pack really depends on what you're going to take. For me, 50L is enough. Try to go as light as possible.

8. Re: What kind of backpack for backpacking Europe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 25, 2015