We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is the best software to map your trip?

malaysia
11 posts
Save Topic
what is the best software to map your trip?

i'm looking for a wholesome solution to this problem i've been having.

so far, i've been using Google Maps to save all the points of interests. however, the limitation is that there is a limit to the number of POIs I can put on ONE page, and then i have to continue on another page.

secondly, the interface is quite clunky - especially in terms of linking point A to B to C and so on.. i've got like 50+ locations to link up (and i want to sort them by Day, by POI category etc).. google maps just doesn't cut it in this aspect.

the thing i like about Gmaps is its syncability - i can see my saved points on the android phone after i have mapped the points.

what other alternative software are there for my consideration? i don't mind a paid app, as long as it suits my preferences.

thanks!

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what is the best software to map your trip?

There is a travel gadgets and gear forum, you may want to post this there.

:-)

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what is the best software to map your trip?

i've got like 50+ locations to link up (and i want to sort them by Day, by POI category etc).. google maps just doesn't cut it in this aspect.

===========

It's a worry. Wrong forum though.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
3. Re: what is the best software to map your trip?

Hi hiddenexplorer,

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your question on the Air Travel forum, so I have moved the topic on your behalf to the Travel Gadgets and Gear forum. I hope you find the information you need to plan your upcoming travels.

Kind regards,

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: what is the best software to map your trip?

Where are you traveling? That will determine what products might work for you.

It has been many years, but I used Microsoft Streets and Trips before map quest, Google and the rest started with online maps. It might be what you are looking for, especially for US travel. Not sure how much support they offer for other countries.

www.microsoft.com/streets/en-us/default.aspx

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,488 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what is the best software to map your trip?

Agree, the recommendation you get will vary greatly depending on your trip.

Where are you going? How do you intend to use this info on your trip?

malaysia
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: what is the best software to map your trip?

hi all, thanks for the warm welcome!

i have previously used Google Maps for travel in US (boston,NY,washington) and Australia (sydney and melbourne), and found it severely lacking in those points i mentioned earlier.

this June, i am touring the SEA region (vietnam/cambodia/thailand) and maybe tokyo.

would like an app that can handle many countries, as i have plans to backpack to Europe in the next two years.

thanks in advance!

Boston...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what is the best software to map your trip?

I've been using the tripit app for iphone (and you can use their website as well) and i'm really liking it - it automatically imports all your travel documents if you sync it with your email - and it adds maps and directions from one place to the next - and you can also add in your own attractions and include notes and addresses and such for museums or bars or restaurants or whatever - I've also been using Pinterest to that end as well - just to have visuals for each and then in the description area I've put the address with a link to the google map of the location.

Edited: 9:32 am, February 16, 2013
malaysia
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: what is the best software to map your trip?

i'm looking towards apps like Gmaps that can plan from point A to B to C to Z, and tell me how to go from one location to another, not so much of a consolidation app like tripit.

more suggestions! thanks!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
5,112 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what is the best software to map your trip?

I actually wrote for my own use an application that takes the entries from my Google calendar, displays them on a Google map and calculates the route between them.

I have used it to plan road trips around Ireland and South Africa.

It needs some reworking to cope with changes in the Google calendar API but if there were interest I could look at updating it.

malaysia
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: what is the best software to map your trip?

hi mymsman, mind if i take a look at your app? :)

to others : more suggestions please!