We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GoPro video cameras

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Topic
GoPro video cameras

Hey folks,

I posted a similar question back in November about advice on video cameras for my road trip, one that has a mount that I can put on the outside of my car as I drive roads like Utah Highway 12.

I think I'll make life easier on myself and just choose the GoPro - as they get good reviews - but there are so many models to choose from. Any advice? Looking for quality, of course, but also something easy to use that doesn't have a million features I'll never need.

Basically, important features for me include the car mount feature, video and sound quality - particularly with shooting outdoors - zoom capabilities for wildlife shots, nice wide angle lens, and adequate memory card storage (one of the GoPro models, I read, has 9.5 hours of memory). Of course saving a few extra bucks would be nice, too.

Any suggestions? Many thanks.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,847 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GoPro video cameras

I have an inexpensive Kodak Play Sport and a Monster Pad:

http://thegadgetvote.com/?p=818

Sits on the dash, never moves. The camera shoots decent video and you can put up to a 32 gig card in it.

Edited: 8:07 am, February 02, 2012
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: GoPro video cameras

I had a similar decision to make before our last road trip. I opted for a "cheap" Toshiba HD (Camileo H30) camera. I made an adapter to mount to my GPS holder. The only real drawback to the Go Pro (for me) is it is a wide angle lens only and no zoom. I wanted to use the camera for other things than just a dash cam.

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: GoPro video cameras

Thanks to both of you for responding and for your feedback.

Glad to know, Pneuguy, that there's no zoom feature on the GoPro. Yellowstone is part of my itinerary and I'll die if I see a bear or wolf and not be able to capture it on film.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: GoPro video cameras

I use a Contour GPS Camera everywhere I travel. Simple an amazing camera.

gpstm-blog.com/2012/08/contour-gps-camera_3.…

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,716 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GoPro video cameras

Mtnwriter,

1.) There aren't many models of the GoPro, there's only one, the GoPro Hero2. Perhaps you're confusing the different mounting packages as different models.

2.) Memory isn't a factor of the camera itself, it's completely dependent on the size of the memory card that you're recording too.

3.) GoPro revolutionized extreme sports photography and it is indeed an absolutely incredible unit, but its super tiny size and almost indestructibility comes with a fixed focal length (no zoom) and a software/hardware package that is very focused to do one job extremely well – shoot crazy stuff up close and personal.

Have a look at this, it demonstrates the limited (but amazing) capabilities very well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUEZCxBcM78

Good luck with your research.

Cheers,

Terry

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,077 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GoPro video cameras

As noted, there's only one model of GoPro so that decision is easy. There are different mounts. You have, I think, only two basic choices with included mount packages. Get the motorsports mount that has a suction cup mount for the windshield. Don't put it outside - you'll lose it. The windshield mount is fantastic. You might want to also buy an additional arm mount to give you even more flexibility.

As noted, only downside is you have one focal length and it's wide. It's a fantastic dash cam, but for everything else you have to be creative.

But if what you want to do is document your drive, there is no better product than the GoPro.

Have fun.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,716 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GoPro video cameras

Not that it matters TumbleweedandCactus but the GoPro actually comes in three basic packages... Outdoor, Motosports and Surf. There are additional mounts for every possible application you can imagine.

And your worry about putting it outside the car are unfounded. I've mounted the GoPro on Formula 1 and Indy cars as well as stunt aircraft - check out the link I posted above. I always have a safety cable attached in case the mount fails but in countless situations this has happened only 3 or 4 times and that was on vehicles experiencing major G forces. In any case a little duct tape and the safety tether I mentioned are all you require for complete peace of mind.

Cheers,

Terry

Level Contributor
20 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GoPro video cameras

The gopro kicks butt. I would say if you want zoom as well, buy a go pro naked with a suction mount, and a reasonable video camera.

And I've had a suction mount on the outside of offroad vehicles going over huge rock faces p. it will hold. But I would safety chain it.

9. Re: GoPro video cameras

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 02, 2013
Get answers to your questions