We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neck Pillows

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Neck Pillows

Flying economy and have used standard neck pillows in the past to try and get some sleep. But I have seen ones that have a massager in them. Anyone used them. How do they compare.

cheers

HP

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,777 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neck Pillows

No but they sound lovely!

Only time I used one was once last year when I bought the standard blow up wrap round neck version at the shop in the airport.

Halfway thru the flight I woke up thinking I was being strangled !

Blow up pillow now going - free to good home.

I went back to my home made one. Got a normal old pillow and cut a third off the end and made a pillow case for it.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neck Pillows

I'm 6'5" (195cm) tall.

Unless I get a window seat, there is no way to rest my head (except on the seatback in front of me :) ) so I thought maybe the neck pillow would work.

Nope. The appear only to work if there is something behind your head.

If only those headrests on planes would extend up like in cars . . . but i guess that would make them less safe. Oh well.

The neck pillow I bought is fleece and filled with buckwheat. We smeared catnip all over it and now it is a perfectly serviceable cat toy. :)

-Noah

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
359 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neck Pillows

Perfectlyperth, I'm with you. Blow-up and other neck pillows just don't foot the bill for me...they fit weirdly on the neck, feel sweaty, etc.

I don't sew, but had the same thought as you--a narrower version of a real pillow. So I did some searching on the internet and found that PotteryBarn sells various sized pillow inserts and a host of covers for them. The inserts I'm looking at are the "boudoir pillow" which is 12x16" for $10USD or the lumbar pillow, which is 12x24 for $20US. I still need covers (most of Pottery Barn's are too decorative and pricey), but I think the sizes will be easy to travel with!

www.potterybarn.com/products/p206/index.cfm

Vel

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,595 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neck Pillows

I bought the bean filled neck pillows last year & found them really good. We were doing a road trip, so used them in the car as well as on the plane. For me they supported my neck so that my head didn't tilt & I didn't end up with a stiff neck. They were a bit bulky to carry, but for me it was worth it.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,777 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neck Pillows

Just the other day a friend told me they bought one of these pillows

www.gogogear.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=1296

for their trip around South America. They obviously take up a bit more room than a blow up - but apparently they can be rolled or sqished quite small into a handbag etc. She said it was super comfy and she even used it in hotels if the pillows were bad !!

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Neck Pillows

I honestly don't think there's such a thing as a comfortable pillow for getting some sleep on a plane. I've tried bead filled and inflatable ones, and have seen a Jetsleeper (Google it, it's like a hammock for your head!), but it's just not natural to try to sleep sitting up if you ask me. Your neck's gonna get stiff if you loll it to one side, regardless of the pillow.

If anyone knows different, I'd genuinely love to hear about it too.

<sigh> Better just make yourself sleepy with the free grog on offer and hope for the best.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,362 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Neck Pillows

Hmmm, I suspect the only way most of us can sleep comfortably is in first class. Sigh, dream on . . . !

>>...perfectly serviceable cat toy<< LOL :-)

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
918 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Neck Pillows

I've never found a perfect travel pillow either. The u-shaped neck pillows seemed to bug me as much as help me.

The most helpful thing I've found to keep my head steady in an airline seat is that many airline seat headrests now have those movable "wings" built in that you can fold up on either side of your head.

That said, I recently bought the Travelrest pillow - you can see it at http://www.travelrest.net/ - and it's available from amazon.com as well. It inflates easily and rolls up small.

I haven't totally gotten the hang of using it, and when I really wanted to sleep on a recent loonng overseas flight, I was lucky enough to have a 3 seat section to myself so I got comfy without needing the pillow. I think the advantage it offers is that you kind of snuggle between the pillow and the seat. If that makes any sense. :-)

But I do plan to take it in future trips and see if I get the hang of it, and if it is worth using.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,777 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Neck Pillows

I quite like the look of that one toofargone - unusual but quite well thought out and designed.

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Neck Pillows

If anyone reads any of my other previous posts, they likely know that I like to travel with the least amount to carry. For instance, I don't carry a pillow. I will, however, always have a light fleece vest which I can take off and fold into a small pillow case, if I am in the window seat. I always like to have a pillow case with me for a number of uses, including sleeping upon.

On another note: has anyone ever noted that some airlines have head-rests in the seat that can be "flexed" together to keep your head from rolling. I just noticed this recently on a flight back from Mexico. In all my years of travel, I never paid those creases in the headrests any attention. Now I know what they are for ... they indicate fold-able headrests. I wonder if all airlines / planes have them or only a few?