We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim cards to use in Europe

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
15 helpful votes
Sim cards to use in Europe
Save

We are travelling through seven countries in Europe in April and May. I'd like to get a sim card which will give data, calls, and texts.

It seems that "Three UK" offers a pretty good deal, but can only be paid for with a UK credit card.

Anyone have any more info, or another suggestion?

146 replies to this topic
Italy
Level Contributor
165 posts
35 reviews
26 helpful votes
1. Re: Sim cards to use in Europe
Save

As I said several times on this forum, the best option for people coming to Europe is the Tellink Roaming Sim. Here is why:

you order it via email so before arriving in Europe you already have the sim configured and a working mobile Belgian Number. The sim receives for free in more than 70 countries in the world and there are several data bundles available.

The sim never expires, so you keep it and use it again worldwide.

The link is www.tellinkroaming.com

In case you need instead something that offers data bundles valid worldwide and also a US number for incoming calls (50 cents per month plus a fixed fee of 15 cents for every incoming call) is the Airbalticcard (www.airbalticcard.com). This expires after two years from last use, though.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
22,468 posts
34 reviews
57 helpful votes
2. Re: Sim cards to use in Europe
Save

Just get a local prepaid SIM and a data plan from a phone shop in the first country you visit and roam with it across the continent. Roaming fees have been abolished throughout the EU. Vodafone has good transnational service. No need to buy anything in advance.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: Sim cards to use in Europe
Save

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Edited: 6:15 am, January 22, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
15 helpful votes
4. Re: Sim cards to use in Europe
Save

So I can just pick up a simcard in Amsterdam to work for me wherever I go in Europe?

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,468 posts
34 reviews
57 helpful votes
5. Re: Sim cards to use in Europe
Save

<<So I can just pick up a simcard in Amsterdam to work for me wherever I go in Europe?

That's correct - within the EU to be more precise. You're card will log onto a local carrier, but you'll continue to use it under the same terms as you acquired it.

Italy
Level Contributor
11,994 posts
6. Re: Sim cards to use in Europe
Save

Watch what you buy. The normal tourist offers aren't covered by the eu directive. Some companies are including roaming others aren't

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
13,220 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Sim cards to use in Europe
Save

welcome,

if you have a desktop PC, you can search here. There are many threads regarding this.

good luck.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,468 posts
34 reviews
57 helpful votes
8. Re: Sim cards to use in Europe
Save

That's right, the cheapie resellers may not offer roaming. Best to stick with the mainstream primary network operators like Vodafone, Telefonica, Orange etc.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
39,518 posts
74 reviews
109 helpful votes
9. Re: Sim cards to use in Europe
Save

Three mobile is ok in the Uk, havent' tried it abroad yet but it's coverage while good is patchy compared to others certainly in rural areas.

Virgin is another. I have an old PAYG and was surprise that it was cheaper to use for texts and calls from Spain than it is in the Uk. I can't comment on data.

Edited: 12:27 pm, January 22, 2018
Italy
Level Contributor
11,994 posts
10. Re: Sim cards to use in Europe
Save

" cheapie resellers may not offer roaming. Best to stick with the mainstream primary network operators like Vodafone, Telefonica, Orange etc."

vodafone.it/portal/…Vodafone-Holiday-English

Vodafone.it doesn't include roaming in it's tourist packages.

Reply to: Sim cards to use in Europe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted