We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Barcelona

Singapore, Singapore
12 posts
Save Topic
Paris to Barcelona

Hi everyone,

I have been following this forum for a while and I hope someone could help me. My family of 5 persons are travelling from Paris to Barcelona on the 22nd of December. I have another thread which explains that I initially planned to take the night train Elipsos.

But there has been no news from them and it is very worrying for me especially when the date is drawing near. So just in case it stops its operations, how do I get to Paris to Barcelona via train?

Also, what are the current rumours about Elipsos at the moment? Where do I find such news places?

Regards,

Yan Song

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Barcelona

It has been confirmed that the direct train will commence on Dec 15th

liberation.fr/economie/2013/11/20/le-premier…

seat61.com/…London-Barcelona_by_daytime_train

Most probably the Elipsos will be discontinued

Paris, France
Level Contributor
220 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Barcelona

There is a new direct TGV line from Paris to Barcelona about to open on december 15th. Booking are supposed to open at the end of november. We don't know yet if the night train will be discontinued.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,301 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Barcelona

I copy this post from Man@seat61.com dated 1st November

"Nov 01, 2013, 3:30 AM

Introduction of direct Paris-Barcelona TGVs has apparently been put back AGAIN until early 2014.

The Paris-Figueres TGVs with AVE connection to Barcelona will continue in the meantime.

However, dates after the timetable change are STILL not open for sale, they should open any day now.

The Elipsos trainhotels should continue running on Fri, Sun and Mon nights."

To which is added "One report and several rumours suggest TGVs may indeed start on 15 December, and that there may be a formal announcement on 27 November. But after so many rumours, expect them when you see them."

As of now the Elipsos site is not taking bookings for any date after 14th December nor is there any news on whether its trains will even be running.

Also, the SNCF website is showing nothing at all after 14 December between Paris and Barcelona so far as I can tell.

So it looks like we shall know in one week's time. Perhaps.

Singapore, Singapore
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Barcelona

Thank you everyone for your replies! I am very very worried about the whole situation now as I had assumed that Elipsos would be running as I planned the trip, it would be quite a mess if we end up stranded in Paris!

I am right to say that it is not possible to book the direct Paris-Barcelona TGV? Which website should I use to book it?

Sorry for troubling all of you, and thank you once again for your replies, they definitely put me more at ease.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,301 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Barcelona

Whether or not it will be the direct TGV train or the existing arrangement via Figueres, the best place to buy your ticket is www.voyages-sncf.com and using the advice of many regular contributors select ticket collection country as 'Antarctica' to avoid being redirected to another site.

There is also a website www.capitainetrain.com which is being recommended by several people to buy train tickets in France.

Tickets will not be on sale until it is 110% certain which trains will be running which, as we have seen, may not be until next week.

Singapore, Singapore
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris to Barcelona

Hi all!

I have seen that the direct TGVs are out! Are they opened for booking? I live in France now so I can book with the SNCF directly right? Or should i be booking with RENFE?

Regards,

YS

Edited: 8:59 am, November 25, 2013
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,301 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris to Barcelona

?? They are not visible at www.voyages-sncf.com for 22 December.

That is where you should book as (a) you live in France and (b) your trip starts in France.

I read that it may be confirmed on Wednesday 27th whether the new service will start on 15th December.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,301 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris to Barcelona

No sooner had I said that...

http://www.seat61.com/news.htm#.UpN03Scav6Q

has the details. Now all that is needed is for SNCF to load the details into their reservation system.

Singapore, Singapore
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris to Barcelona

Hi guys!

The TGV tickets are out already! Yay!!!

But I guess we will not hear about Elipsos anytime soon?

Regards,

Ys

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,301 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris to Barcelona

Best check on the Elipsos website. General opinion is that their overnight train will perhaps continue to run three or four days a week for a little while, perhaps, through the winter then they will review operation.