We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indian Pacific Sydney - Perth - Anyone Done It?

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Indian Pacific Sydney - Perth - Anyone Done It?

My mum has always wanted to travel on the Indian Pacific to Perth and I'm thinking of treating her to a trip next year. We will get a Gold Service twin cabin and will do the train journey one way with a flight home.

Has anyone done this trip and is it worth the money? Are the cabins comfortable? Is it worth travelling all the way from Sydney to Perth or should we catch the train at Adelaide instead? We are flexible with plans.

Any info appreciated.

108 replies to this topic
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indian Pacific Sydney - Perth - Anyone Done It?

It's a lovely cruise train, with comfy bedsin private sleepers, a lounge car, and an elegant restaurant with decent food - a rolling hotel.

The scenery through the Blue Mountains out of Sydney is great, and I seem to remember waking up beyond Broken Hill with emus running around outside my window.

The Adelaide-Perth bit takes you across the Nullarbor Plain. As its name suggests, it's flat and treeless. Some will say it's uninteresting, but hang on, this is the point - you're crossing Australia's famous Nullarbor, and you get a sense of its sheer vastness by train, as you knock back your chardonnay and catch up on your reading with your feet up.

I remember the fabulous evening light on the eucalyptus trees as we came off the Nullarbor as the sun set over dinner in the restaurant car. We were trying to spot koalas, but didn't see any!

The stop at Kalgoorlie is long enough to have a wander round that mining town, which is well worth doing, it's an interesting town.

When you roll into Perth, you've done it - crossed Australia!

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indian Pacific Sydney - Perth - Anyone Done It?

Thanks for the info. I have driven across the Nullabor, but it's not an experience I'd like to repeat. It's a LONG drive! I like Perth, and Fremantle, but it's a long time since I visited either place, so it will be nice to go back. And my mum has never been there, so for her it will be a new experience. It's about time we got out and saw a bit more of our own country!

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indian Pacific Sydney - Perth - Anyone Done It?

You will absolutely love it. We went in 2006 as a honeymoon. Not bored for a second. Fabulous food (served exactly in the right amounts and with lovely wine). I'd love to do it again.

Launceston...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indian Pacific Sydney - Perth - Anyone Done It?

Loved it, I was a moody bad tempered teenager at the time but loved every moment of it.

To the extent I am planning my dream holiday to Canada and am planning on traveling by train again.

The beds are comfy, the food is fantastic, it great to lie there and watch the out the window...

Have a fabulous time

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Indian Pacific Sydney - Perth - Anyone Done It?

We are booked to go to Perth to Sydney. They are advertising at the moment for the train (gold class) for 3 nights(including drinks), 2 nights accommodation in Sydney and flight home with Virgen. You can go either way.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Indian Pacific Sydney - Perth - Anyone Done It?

Check the website www.gsr.com.au They are currently offering some special deals i.e. with inclusions.

The trip is worthwhile although some find the long stretch across the Nullabor becomes uninteresting very quickly.

The Ghan to/from Darwin is by any definition the more interesting trip. The variety of scenery is larger.

Whatever you decide you will never regret making the journey.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Indian Pacific Sydney - Perth - Anyone Done It?

we did it both ways and the Ghan up to Alice (won the trip!) I found the first night out of Sydney to be VERY rocky. all other nights were nice and smooth. someone said it was to do with the guage of the rails in NSW.

8. Re: Indian Pacific Sydney - Perth - Anyone Done It?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, March 25, 2014

London, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Indian Pacific Sydney - Perth - Anyone Done It?

It is a fun trip from Sydney, as you get a different landscape to wake up to each morning. The food is magnificent and part of the fun is the other people you meet in the club car, and dining car. It is perfectly comfortable, and you get to see a bit of Adelaide. It is a pleasant trip out of Sydney, over the Blue Mountains and having dinner as you go westwards from Sydney, then wake up in the far west towards Broken Hill, where there is a brief stop to look around, then a pleasant trip down to Adelaide and then north and west, before you have a good night's sleep and wake up on the Nullarbor - time to eat, spend time reading and stare out into the desert. Then an evening arrival at Kalgoorlie, a chance to wander or take a tour, then dinner and sleep and you wake up arriving in Perth.

Definitely worth it in Gold Class, I wouldn't do it in anything less.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Indian Pacific Sydney - Perth - Anyone Done It?

I've done the Adelaide to Perth part in 2005 and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Nullarbor is not boring at all.

Don't expect a shiny sparkling high-tech train, it is more a nostalgic train ride. The service and food is excellent in gold class, they spoilt us rotten. I would not want to do that ride in 'cattle class', though.

I wrote a little page over on Virtualtourist about the train ride and the 'sightseeing' stop in Cook, maybe you'll want to have a look at it: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/1ca72d/ The photos are from the pre-digital era, scanned slides, hence not too perfect.

Reply to: Indian Pacific Sydney - Perth - Anyone Done It?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted