We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elipsos bookings for Paris to Madrid.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
45 reviews
Elipsos bookings for Paris to Madrid.

Hi all,

hoping someone can help me a little with this. I'm trying to book the Elipsos overnight service from Paris to Madrid for Friday the 27th September via Renfe.com.

I've read that Renfe open bookings 90 odd days in advance, but I cannot seem to get anything for this service on that date? I tried other dates and the earliest I can get, is about the 15th? But, if I try other routes in Spain , e.g. Madrid to Sevilla, I can (and have) already book for early October.

Is this me or just Spainish bureaucracy on display? I've tried over the last week or so and the date does not seem to change as to the latest date I can book? I was not concerned, until, I read somewhere, that the Elipsos service was to be discontinued soon.

Is anyone able to verify that this may happen and I should just book to go via Barcelona for that date?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Bren

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,627 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Elipsos bookings for Paris to Madrid.

These trains are not run by Renfe. Try booking direct with the operator: http://www.elipsos.com/en/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Elipsos bookings for Paris to Madrid.

Thanks for the reply Nick, but the same situation is still there. Sorry to say. And this site also states bookings can be made 90 days out? Yet we are well within that time for the 27th Sept.

I'm curious that your say they are not run by Renfe, yet they clearly have the "Renfe" emblem and signage, (plus SNCF).

Thanks anyway. I guess, I will just have to wait another few weeks and see what happens.

Bren

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,627 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Elipsos bookings for Paris to Madrid.

Elipsos is a separate company, owned jointly by Renfe and SNCF.

There is talk of opening a new high-speed rail line between France and Spain, and I seem to recall some posts about some daytime trains not being available 3 months out because of uncertainty about when this line would open.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,266 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Elipsos bookings for Paris to Madrid.

Yes, train bookings between France - Spain and v.v. have been somewhat flaky this year, to say the least!

'The Man in Seat 61' has a link to an article (in Spanish) which suggests that the Elipsos Trenhotels between Madrid-Paris and Barcelona-Paris are both expected to be withdrawn, but not before the end of October.

altavelocidad.org/index.php/alta-velocidad/i…

The article also suggests that end-October is the new date for the through Paris - Barcelona TGV services, as well as a new Barcelona - Toulouse & Lyon service and a new Madrid - Barcelona - Marseille service.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: Elipsos bookings for Paris to Madrid.

thanks Wirewiper,

I'm sure the article I read was a direct translation of the one in your link. It's not specific really. I only became concerned when the dates I could book, just did not seem to be changing . Although, I have now noticed, I can now book for the 16th Sept. So, I guess, it is slowly progressing.

Thank you and Nick, as well. You have put my mind at ease a little. cheers!

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,323 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Elipsos bookings for Paris to Madrid.

Elipsos is indeed run by Renfe, in partnership with SNCF. Elipsos is merely a consortium of SNCF and Renfe, something of a shell, really.

Bookings SHOULD open 90 days ahead, but at the moment with so much engineering work in France, it's safer to assume 60 days. Just wait a bit and it should appear. I can't see any dates in the Sales Circular when it's not running.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
57,413 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: Elipsos bookings for Paris to Madrid.

Also to end when the new TGV services come in will be the Talgo Mare Nostrum, the last remaining gauge changing train that runs once a day between Montpellier and Alacant via the old route through Cerbère and Portbou.

8. Re: Elipsos bookings for Paris to Madrid.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:52 pm, December 29, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
45 reviews
9. Re: Elipsos bookings for Paris to Madrid.

Just an update on the Elipsos issue, the latest available date for bookings , has not changed in the last week. It's still the 16th September. This is starting to worry me now.

Might try and make some calls, although my spanish is not that great anymore. I will post, if I discover anything new.

Bren

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
57,413 posts
41 reviews
10. Re: Elipsos bookings for Paris to Madrid.

If I recall correctly the Elilpsos train didn't run every night outside the peak summer season. The date for the cessation of service isn't yet set in stone, so I suspect bookings might be on a fairly ad-hoc basis for its remaining time in operation.

Also, as has been mentioned earlier, there is a huge amount of reconstruction work taking place on French railwaysm, causing closure of lines often during the day on weekdays and often over longer periods. I spotted yesterday in Bordeaux that there are lot of short notice cancellations on TGV and other long distance trains.When this happens in France there are no replacement buses. The services are simply cancelled.

All these factors combined spell the end of the night trains.