We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Barcelona train?

Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Paris to Barcelona train?

Hi,

I need to book train travel from Paris to Barcelona on April 29, leaving in the morning or early afternoon. I'm not interested in taking the Hotel Train, though I will take easyJet if that's what it comes to.

I know there is currently a high-speed trip that requires a connection in Figueres, but I have read that a direct trip will begin in April (obviously preferable). I have visited what I think is every possible ticketing site and cannot figure out how to book either of these options. Can anybody please help?

Thanks,

Zach

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Barcelona train?

The through ticket requiring a connection at Figueres Vilafant can be booked at www.tgv-europe.com/en (specify your collection country as Antarctic, so you won't be redirected to RailEurope in the US)

I can see prices starting at € 81 from Paris Gare de Lyon to Barcelona Sants

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Barcelona train?

You also have to uncheck the 'direct trains' box.

But unfortunately, as far as I can see, booking for day trains is currently only possible up to April 27. You'll either have to wait a little longer to book, or fly with Vueling or EasyJet.

Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Barcelona train?

Great. Thanks to both of you for help.

Any thoughts on how to book the new direct high-speed daytime train that is starting in April? I am not seeing that available even for April 27 or prior.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Barcelona train?

Never heard of that one, the ones above are mentioned in this news article

railjournal.com/index.php/europe/spain-opens…

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,682 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Barcelona train?

It isn't confirmed yet that the direct trains will have started by 27th April. That's why they are not yet bookable.

If they don't start, the existing arrangement with a change of trains at Figueres will continue.

However the train companies are not going to allow bookings until they are certain what will operate, hence the delay in opening bookings. The new Madrid - Figueres trains that started in January only opened for bookings seven days before the service started!

My advice is not to panic, and keep checking. What is not in doubt is that it WILL be possible to get from Paris to Barcelona (and v.v.) by daytime train on 27th April.

Keep also an eye on 'The Man in Seat 61' news page for more info - he is usually well clued-up about such matters.

http://www.seat61.com/news.htm#.UTb0hByPXA0

Edited: 2:48 am, March 06, 2013
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,682 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris to Barcelona train?

Sorry, meant 29th April!

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris to Barcelona train?

Booking for the EXISTING service of two daily TGV Duplexes from Paris to Figueres, connecting at Figueres Vilafant with a Spanish AVE from Figueres to Barcelona & Madrid, is currently only open for booking until 27 April. After that everything disappears.

It is possible (indeed, likely according to this article la-clau.net/info/7997/le-premier-tgv-perpign… ) that the first direct Paris-Barcelona TGVs will start from 28 April.

Of course, the start of the new service could be put off again, and more dates of the existing Duplex/AVE combo via Figueres appear in the booking systems, but here's hoping.

When will booking open for the new service, if it starts on 28 April? Well, booking for the new Madrid-Barcelona-Figueres trains which started 9 January only opened 7 days before the first one ran! Let's hope they do better than that!

Edited: 2:53 am, March 06, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris to Barcelona train?

As of 7 March, the Barcelona to Paris advertised services for 28 April are limited to:

an AVE/TGV service departing at 16:15, via Figueres, and arriving in Paris just before 1am on 29 April

and

an AVE/Elipsos/Intercites service leaving at 19:25 and arriving 12 hours later in Paris.

IN the early days of May there is a daily service with two connections - Figueres and Montpellier - leaving at 16:15 and taking 8hrs 38m.

From 11 May services are not available for booking.

Information from TGV-SNCF web site.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris to Barcelona train?

These are random services found by a search engine which currently lacks the necessary data about the direct Spain-Paris TGVs for any date from 28 April onwards, because this data has not yet been loaded into the database.

I'm now expecting direct Paris-Barcelona TGVs to start on 28 April, with departures from Paris to Barcelona at 07:15 and 14:07.

Of course, no official announcement has yet been made so it's not impossible that the start date will be put back again.

But if the date for direct TGVs IS put back, then there will STILL be an 07:15 and 14:07 TGV from Paris, it's just that as at present, you'll need to make a quick cross-platform change of train at Figueres.

So don't book anything yet (unless you want the direct Elipsos sleeper train, which IS open for sale), direct Barcelona-Paris TGVs 'should' appear in the system for dates 28 April onwards in due course, or, if the start date is put back again, the current service with a change at Figueres will appear in the system instead.

One or the other!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris to Barcelona train?

Thanks #61 - first, please excuse that I have interposed my interest in travel in the reverse direction (Barc to Paris). But the general issue is the same of course.

You have probably said all that in various forms before, but this nails it for me, although you now raise another concern:

If I had got this seat-booking information from one of the third party sites, I would understand your comment about "random services found by a search engine" - but where else does one go to get the good oil if not to:

http://www.tgv-europe.com/en/

Or are you just saying that TGV itself - let alone Bahn or petrabax - seems not to have uploaded all the schedule information at this stage, especially for advance bookings? Because of the forthcoming change to services and schedules.

I had suspected something like that since the advance booking window seems to have been reduced from 90 to 60 days - witness the fact that at day 61, the schedule on the TGV site goes a little strange, with high speed bookings limited to one a day or missing. And as you move further into the 60+ days range, only the Elipsos service is offered . By 11 May, the schedule, if it notifies any service, adds: "not available for booking".

so we wait! (not complaining - implementing high tech services like this is no walk in the park.) For me, hoping to travel on 12 May, the start of the 60 day advance booking period is 13 March. We will all be in the same boat I guess - but I am jumpy that missing the launch date by a couple of days might be an issue for our tightly timed onward travel schedule. I really don't want to fly and I need to arrive in Paris with sufficient daylight to find our apartment.