We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ICE train from Berlin to Stuttgart

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
ICE train from Berlin to Stuttgart

I just booked tickets on a Thursday in May on ICE 597 which departs at 9:35am. I have a few questions:

- how early should I get to Berlin HBF since it will be around rush hour?

- are there luggage racks in the carriages and is it safe?

- how does ICE first class compare with Thalys first class? From the DB website, it looks like food is not included but available for purchase.

- my online ticket is in German. Can I get a copy in English?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,301 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ICE train from Berlin to Stuttgart

It's a big and very busy station (350,000 passengers per day) with sixteen platforms on two levels, so I would suggest a good 15 - 20 minutes to make sure you know where your train leaves from and to find your way there.

There are detailed plans and other station information in English at

http://www.bahnhof.de/?lang=en#station/17620

- are there luggage racks in the carriages and is it safe? Yes and yes

I can't answer the other two questions but I suspect the answer to the ticket question is no.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ICE train from Berlin to Stuttgart

Thanks for the reply!

Have you been on an ICE train? I've only been on Thalys and this will only be my second time on an European train. How is the train in general (comfort, noise, washrooms, food, etc.)?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ICE train from Berlin to Stuttgart

I have been on different ICE trains at different times, I don't really know how to answer your question really, other than to say that some of the ICE feels quieter, and the others are comparable to the Thalys. (no comment on food)

There are 3 different generations of ICE trains, whereas I am unsure of the Thalys. This Berlin to Stuttgart route I believe is served by the 1st generation ICE.

Some pictures of the fit out and carriages can be found here

galerie.ice-fansite.com/main.php?g2_itemId=16

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ICE train from Berlin to Stuttgart

I should have specified. We actually went to all the sites to use as reference, including Thalys, Bahn, TGV, etc. Our prices were actually less on raileurope, but I do agree to not book any of your regional trains through the website...

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,566 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ICE train from Berlin to Stuttgart

ICE 597 is indeed an (redesigned) ICE-1 trainset. ICE-1 is wider and higher than a Thalys train. But not as fast.

1st class car

ice-fansite.com/images/…DSCF0415.JPG

seating plan

ice-fansite.com/images/…wagen11-14.jpg

There are luggage racks and a few luggage lockers. Latter require a 2 Euro coin as deposit. Both is totally safe.

Food is not included in the train ticket price. But in 1st class you can order beverages and snacks at your seat. The train has however also a restaurant car. Personally I think the restaurant cars of the ICE-1 trains with their raised roof are the most elegant modern restaurant cars on tracks.

restaurant section

ice-fansite.com/images/…DSCF0435.JPG

bistro (self service) section

ice-fansite.com/images/…DSCF0439.JPG

> - my online ticket is in German. Can I get a copy in English?

No. The general information on the 2nd page is however also available in English.

bahn.de/p/…mdb_102132_olthinweise_en.pdf

Menu for the restaurant car is in German and English. Here the one for January / February 2013.

https:/…DB_BR-Speisekarte_12-12.pdf

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ICE train from Berlin to Stuttgart

Thank you!

I have a clearer picture of ICE train now. I think I will buy some food to bring on board as the menu looks kind of pricey.

As for the luggage, my husband and I will each of a medium size suitcase plus carryon and a purse. I just want to make sure that we don't have to keep an eye on the luggage as we most likely will sleep through part of the 5.5 hour ride.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,172 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ICE train from Berlin to Stuttgart

can I suggest you try to have your carry-on as a back pack - the aisles are not overly wide and rolling a bag along plus trying to handle an additional carryon and purse would be a bit cumbersome

We had weelie type backpacks which just fitted - if you see a spot in the luggage rack by the door, grab it rather than wheeling down the aisle - our bags were perfectly safe there on our recent trip.

Heaps of places at Berlin Hbf to get food to take with you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ICE train from Berlin to Stuttgart

Thanks thmoore!

We will go a bit earlier to buy some food and drinks.

Re luggage and carryon - my carrying will just be a large bag and my purse will be small. I was just more worried about where to put our suitcases. Thanks!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ICE train from Berlin to Stuttgart

You put your luggage on the racks above your seat. Is it safe? Of course.

And no, you cannot get a copy of your ticket in English.

Concerning dealing with seat reservations, finding your train and other general questions, you may want to have a look at the tips on train travel I wrote over on Virtualtourist: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/b/9/ (all photos were taken in 2nd class as 1st is way beyond my budget).

10. Re: ICE train from Berlin to Stuttgart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 25, 2014