We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 Month Itinerary via Train - Need Input

J K
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
6 Month Itinerary via Train - Need Input

Hello fellow travellers,

My wife and I are in the preliminary planning stages of a six month European backpacking trip starting in the spring (late April or early May) of 2014.

We are budgeting an average of $100 (Canadian) per day, plus the cost of airfare. We have both travelled / backpacked in western Europe / UK 4-5 times each for about 4-6 weeks per trip. Typically we would choose to travel in the shoulder season, but because we are going for 6 months and want to limit the amount of clothing we take, we decided to go from spring to fall.

Our biggest concern is the amount of flexibility we will have over the summer months, as we like to keep our options as open as possible. Based on our first attempt at an itinerary, our concern is that we would be in Turkey, Greece and Croatia during their busiest and hottest months. This is the main reason we are looking for other comments or other suggestions. Ideally we do not want to have to plan everything in advance, especially purchasing train tickets and booking accomodations.

If you have any suggestions on the following preliminary itinerary we would love to hear them. It seems like a lot of Country hopping, but we tried to keep it as regional as possible.

May

Fly into Ireland (2 weeks)

England (1.5 weeks)

Travel through Netherlands toward Germany (0.5 weeks)

June

Germany - North (1.5 weeks)

Czech Republic (1 week)

Hungary (1 week)

July

Ukraine (2 weeks)

Turkey - West (1 week)

Greece – Mostly Islands (2.5 weeks)

August

Greece (continued from July)

Croatia (1.5 weeks)

Austria (1.5 weeks)

September

Germany – South (2 weeks)

Switzerland (1.5 weeks)

Italy (2 weeks)

October

Italy (continued from September)

France – South (0.5 weeks – travel toward Spain)

Spain (2.5 Weeks)

Fly home from Barcelona

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,350 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 Month Itinerary via Train - Need Input

First of all, have you sorted out your visa? As I understand it, Canadian citizens can enter the Schengen Treaty area (most of Europe) as a visitor without a visa for stays of no more than 90 days in any period of 180 days.

Of the places you want to visit, only Ireland, UK, Ukraine, Turkey and Croatia are not parties to the Schengen Treaty, which means you would run well over the 90 day limit.

J K
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 Month Itinerary via Train - Need Input

I have not sorted out my visa yet, although I have over a year to do that. My wife is a canadian citizen as well, but she has an EU (irish) and UK (British) passport.

If you have any advice for making the visa situation go as smoothly as possible, it would be much appreciated.

J K
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 Month Itinerary via Train - Need Input

Also, I'm thinking another option for the itinerary may be to get a cheap flight from London to Dubrovnik and then head south to Greece, then east to Turkey. From Istanbul I could take a boat to Odessa, Ukraine, then start to head back west.

This could help me in keeping away from what I hear are insane crowds in the Greek islands over the summer months.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 Month Itinerary via Train - Need Input

I've updated the train travel on Irish Public Transport on TA at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186591-c86104/Irelan… This might give you some idea as to what is doable.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,350 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 Month Itinerary via Train - Need Input

According to recent posts in the Italy forum, it is not possible to obtain a Schengen tourist visa for a period of more than 90 days. For any longer stay, the visa process is the same as if you wanted to move to Europe.

I do not know whether this is true, but I suggest it would be best to ask about your visa before you make any bookings.

6. Re: 6 Month Itinerary via Train - Need Input

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 05, 2014