We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Ghan Adelaide to Alice Springs

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
990 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
The Ghan Adelaide to Alice Springs

We are travelling this in September.I'm interested to know roughly where the train is when the sunsets and then rises the next day , on this leg of the journey.

Any suggestions on the travel also greatly appreciated. We are booked on a red sleeper . Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Ghan Adelaide to Alice Springs

Departure from Adelaide is 12.20pm. Sunset in September is around 6.15pm. The Ghan is scheduled to depart Port Augusta around 5.30pm.

I cannot advise on sunrise. Arrival in Alice Springs is 1.45pm so you should be somewhere in the north of South Australia at sunrise.

Advice: Make the most of the Club/Lounge car.

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
990 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Ghan Adelaide to Alice Springs

Thanks for your advise ;))

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Ghan Adelaide to Alice Springs

You can get sunrise and sunset time at the following website:

http://sunrisesunset.com

Because September is an equinox month, both sunset and sunrise should be about 12 hours apart, give or take ten or fifteen minutes.

I would appreciate feedback, if I may ask, on your take of the Ghan on your return. My wife and I are doing the Gold package on March 31, 2013, from Adelaide, to include info about potential photo opportunities at sunset or sunrise from the train.

We also plan on taking full advantage of the club car as the cabins, so I am told, are nice but best used for sleeping or other nocturnal activities.

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
990 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Ghan Adelaide to Alice Springs

Sure , I will leave an update on the travel experience on the Ghan. We are also completing the Alice Springs to Darwin leg in October, after having explored the Rd Centre area. Thanks for the sunset/ sunrise table. :)

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
990 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Ghan Adelaide to Alice Springs

Hi,

We completed our trip and I put a review here. tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g255062…

We travelled in red sleeper class so your Gold cabin will be larger. I took a sneak peek through one :) I spoke with some of those travelling in Gold and they said the food (included) was both plentiful and tasty.

On our Adelaide to Alice Springs leg the sunset a bit past Port Augusta and rose about 2 hours before the SA and NT border. Both sunset and sunrise were easy to capture through the glass window and the colours were spectacular. As to passing the border etc, the train crew announce points of interest well in time to get the camea ready. They give brief histories and interesting facts of some areas too. We spent daylight hours predominantly in the lounge car as it allowed us to see both sides of the track at once though the announcements do keep you informed where to look and when.

If you choose a whistle stop in Alice I would suggest the 4 site one as this gives you a history of the town. We didn't do it as a whistle stop as we departed the train here for a week, but dd see them all during our time between trains.If you couldnt get on that trip I would recommend cabbing to the Araluen Cultural Preccinct (about $12 - $15 one way). It has an art gallery (fee of around $10) with a display of modern Indigenous art as well as a gallery dedicated to the works of Albert Namatjira . This is also the entry to the gallery , the Museum of Central Australia ,Strehlow Research Centre and Central Australian Aviation Museum all which are interesting to see so its a value for money trip. However there is no food available here so its a good idea to take drinks and snacks.

On the Alice to Darwin leg sunset was about an hour out of Alice Springs and along with the sunrise (about 3 hours before Katherine) as beautiful as those of the other leg. Again commentaries are given and photo opportunities made. At Katherine if you get the chance do one of the gorges as a whistle stop. The gorge is spectacular. If you do the 2 gorge one don't e put off as some are when you hea ter is a walk between gorges. It is at a very easy pace, cemented and if steps aren't your thing the rocks are an easy deviation. Its a slow paced walk but take water (more is available on the boat too!). As the train approaches Darwin they will again give information for photos and of history.

It wasa splendid trip and Im glad I have experienced it as Im sure you will be in March. The one thing I do recommend is a surge protector power plug iin if you intend charging electrical items in your cabin (GSR suggest this). Any questions don't hesitate to ask :)) . Oh I'll see if i can put some photos on the review I did too.

6. Re: The Ghan Adelaide to Alice Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 16, 2013