We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York to Orlando on Amtrak Silver Star 91

Perth
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
New York to Orlando on Amtrak Silver Star 91

Hoping to get some updated opinions on the train trip from NYC to Orlando. Coming to USA from Australia for a 6 week holiday. Rather than flying from NYC to Orlando, was thinking of taking the train on the Silver Star 91 in a roomette.

From what I have read, it sounds like this route is often delayed . Is this still the case lately? The posts where i read this are quite old. It sounds a fantastic way to see a bit of the country side. Wont see much in a plane.

Any recent updates would be very much appreciated.

101 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
18,472 posts
140 reviews
1. Re: New York to Orlando on Amtrak Silver Star 91

If an Amtrak train is more than 15 minutes late at its end station it goes on the record as a late train. Yesterday's 1000 mile trip for train 91 arrived 20 minutes late therefore it goes on the books as another late train. Personally, I think that a 1000 mile ground transport through 7 states being 20 minutes late is pretty amazing. But Americans have no patience not to mention no idea how vast their own country really is. The Silver Meteor, The Silver Star and Autotrain are 3 of Amtrak's busiest trains and the only route that has 3 daily trains. You are absolutely right that you can't see the country if you fly over it.

Perth
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: New York to Orlando on Amtrak Silver Star 91

Thanks for your reply and info! 20 mins is nothing. I had the impression that the trains were regularly delayed for up to hours on end. Just been looking at U-tube videos of the Amtrak travelling down to Florida and convinced that is the way to see a bit more than just airports. Just cant wait to see the US!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
18,472 posts
140 reviews
3. Re: New York to Orlando on Amtrak Silver Star 91

Weary, don't think that a 4 hour delay can't happen but Amtrak will get you to your destination. I've logged many miles on Amtrak and have been through earthquake, suicide by train, freight derailments in front of the train, hurricane and flood delays. Just chalk it up to an adventure and get a brew in the cafe car. Amtrak is very good at posting travel advisories on its web site (when it is forewarned). There is one posting for FL train #92 at this time. The schedule is changing. www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

Edited: 11:29 am, April 02, 2012
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,931 posts
97 reviews
4. Re: New York to Orlando on Amtrak Silver Star 91

Having traveled that train several times, I can tell you that there isn't much to see. It is not one of my favorite routes.

Perth
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: New York to Orlando on Amtrak Silver Star 91

Will take the chance! I can appreciate there might not be much to see but at least it will be new to me! I am hoping that I will see snow for the first time in my life!

Thanks again.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,931 posts
97 reviews
6. Re: New York to Orlando on Amtrak Silver Star 91

I was trying to be nice in my description. The scenery is pretty ugly. You go though a lot of cities and towns, and keep in mind that a railroad destroys property values along its path, so imagine what you will be seeing- mostly abandoned factories and slums interspersed by not very interesting scenery. The trip is mostly through flatlands, so there are no great vistas, except for a a few minutes south of NYC, where you can look back at the NYC skyline, and a few seconds before 30th Street Station in Philadelphia as the train crosses the Schuylkill river (don't blink). For some reason, AMTRAK has this route going through the most scenic part (the Carolinas) in the night.

Unless you are coming in the winter, your chances of seeing snow are zero. Even in the winter, the odds aren't great. We had almost no snow this winter. But, you also stand the chance of seeing more snow than you want if there is a big storm. Anyway, if it is a winter trip, you will need coats and other winter gear for the NYC portion of your trip, and shorts and summer gear for the Florida portion.

Perth
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: New York to Orlando on Amtrak Silver Star 91

Thanks for your honest opinion. Its great to get the info from someone who knows the place. Will give it more thought. Yes its a winter trip at end of December. The cold in itself will be a novelty certainly something I'm not used to. Thanks for the tips!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,318 posts
2,267 reviews
8. Re: New York to Orlando on Amtrak Silver Star 91

Weary, I would strongly recommend travelling on Amtrak rather than flying.

You can be in an 'aluminium tin can' anywhere on earth, but travelling on a train operated by Amtrak or its equals in other nations gives you the opportunity to see a country with its beauty and its hideous side.

I have never found the US completely unattractive scenery wise. Granted, some trips (say in Illinois) are fairly boring but it is still different from Australia so I still come away delighted that I have used a train not a plane.

Who knows, you might also have an interesting conversation or two over a drink or a meal. Perhaps you prefer to keep to yourself. Either way, you will have a richer travel experience than flying delivers.

Puerto Rico
2 posts
9. Re: New York to Orlando on Amtrak Silver Star 91

I am planning this trip, but from Orlando to NY and with 3 kids. I was hopping to hear some advices about how comfortable coud be, and if the seats offers good space. Any chance of a bed?

Puerto Rico
2 posts
10. Re: New York to Orlando on Amtrak Silver Star 91

Hopping to get some advice on this trip, but from Orlando to NY. Going with trhree kids. I would like to know how comfortable could be with this three little rascals. Is there any chance of a bed?

RJ

Edited: 8:19 pm, April 08, 2012
Reply to: New York to Orlando on Amtrak Silver Star 91
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted