We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Eurail Pass

Navi Mumbai, India
1 post
Eurail Pass

Hi,

I am planning to travel to Paris - Rome - Florence - Venice - Interlaken - Zurich - Lucerne in May -June 2011.. if i bass Eurail Pass,. can i travel within say Italy and switzerland with that pass or do i have to buy separate Swiss pass or Italy Pass.. in short, whether Eurail Pass is intercountry pass or i can travel within country..

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Eurail Pass

A Eurail pass is unlkely to make much sense as you need to pay resrvation fees in France and Italy. Better to read the posts on this forum and book your train tickets in advance.

A Swiss pass of some sort may make sense if you plan to travel around Switzerland a lot, but buy it from Swiss Railways.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
26,274 posts
2. Re: Eurail Pass

A eurail pass might make sense, particularly if you are under 26. But no-one can work this out except you, as it depends whether you want to take fast and expensive or slow and cheap trains, and whether you can book in advance or want the flexibility of booking on the day of travel. seat61.com/…20pay-as-you-go will give you the tools to work it out yourself, but ignore any references to Rail Europe which is usually expensive.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
34,762 posts
3. Re: Eurail Pass

to answer your original question

> can i travel within say Italy and switzerland with that pass

The answer is "yes". Eurail passes cover also domestic trips (as long the country is covered by this pass).

Singleton, Australia
11 posts
4. Re: Eurail Pass

hello

we are planning to go from paris-rome-florence-interlaken-marseille-paris, is the eurail pass a good option, we are a family of five travelling together, the pass does not have information about what trains you can actually travel. Do you have to pay extra for anything else like reservations. we are also on a budget.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,647 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Eurail Pass

>we are planning to go from paris-rome-florence-interlaken-marseille-paris, is the eurail pass a good option,

No, it is a bad option, in fact there are only very few itineraries where an Eurail Pass would be a good option.

> we are a family of five travelling together, the pass does not have information about what trains you can actually travel.

You can travel on all trains run by the respective national rail authorities , this is not a problem - the problem is that most express/high speed trains in France and Italy require a reservation, which costs extra. In Italy it is about 10 € per person and trip. In France, it is between 3 and 15 € and the number of passholder seats per train is limited - the train may have a lot of available seats, but only for those with normal tickets.

In Switzerland, no reservations are required but many local train lines (which you would need around Interlaken) are not a part of the Swiss National rail authority and do not accept the Eurail pass.

>Do you have to pay extra for anything else like reservations. we are also on a budget.

Then you need to set your plans, commit to specific trains and buy your tickets well in advance - so you get the cheapest rates. Mind that you cannot change your plans afterwards.

Also, Paris-Rome is not a distance I would go by train.

Singapore
7 posts
6. Re: Eurail Pass

Hello

My friend and I are planning to travel to Paris ---> Rennes ----> Chamonix ----> Bern ----> Interlaken -----> Venice ------> Clinque Terrence -----> Florence ------> Rome. We would like to know which part of our destination will not be covered in the eurail pass? And if after working out the costs, we decided to purchase point to point train ticket for each destination, do we need to make seat reservation?

Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,587 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Eurail Pass

You can buy a Eurail select pass to cover those countries, and those destinations will be covered, but that is not the issue here.

Travelling in France with a pass means:

- you need to pay additional reservation fees at the station

- there is a quota for passholders, so you may or may not get the seats on the days that you desire to travel

- you also need to pay reservation fees in Italy (can be done online)

If you decide to book point to point tickets in advance (90 days in advance, usually), then your booking includes the seat reservations

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
26,274 posts
8. Re: Eurail Pass

With a pass, ou will need a reservation for the cross-border train from Switzerland to Milan - .i.e. from Spiez if you are taking one of the best connections from Interlaken. This reservation must be bought at a Swiss train station, and will cost the equivalent of €10 each.

In Italy, not all trains require reservations and some have cheaper reservations. But the total cost for your route using the best connections would be either €30 or €33 each.

Florida
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Eurail Pass

Read this and other threads about Eurail passes: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12483-k4481489…

After the train schedule change on December 10 you should be able to check the prices by going to the individual countries train sites which you can find on www.seat61.com and avoid all links to the high priced Rail Europe. You may not be able to get some of the prices until after the December 10 schedule change. Lowest prices can sell out and are available usually about 90 days before date of travel but are usually non-refundable.

Interlaken to Venice has no low priced fare but Brig to Venice does so you just buy a regular ticket to nearby Brig. Swiss tickets at www.sbb.ch and France www.tgv-europe.com and Italy www.trenitalia.com and on trenitalia when you choose a fare continue and it will then show the discounted fares for example 2 for 1 On Saturdays or mini fares.

Edited: 10:33 pm, November 15, 2011
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
26,274 posts
10. Re: Eurail Pass

The best connections from Interlaken to Venice require a change at Spiez onto a direct train to MIlan. Sbb.ch has cheap advance fares from Spiez to Venice, and this section of the journey should be bought separately from Intelaken-Spiez as are no cheap fares on this nor on Interlaken-Venice. Only if departing Interlaken at a time when you need an additional change at Brig should you buy from Brig.