We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage on ICE train

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
382 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage on ICE train

My family & I will be catching the ICE train, Amsterdam to Dusseldorf later this year. When I looked up the website for information & tickets, it mentioned that there is only space beside the seat for a suitcase & an overhead rack for smaller items.

We (6 of us) will each have one 20kg suitcase, is this too much to put beside the seat? It said nothing about storage at the back of the carriage (like the Eurostar)

I'm a bit worried now, that we may have to fly instead. We would really like to experience the train (we have 3 other flights inside Europe) & thought this short trip would be the opportunity.

I also do not want to make the other passengers uncomfortable if our luggage is taking up too much space.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage on ICE train

According to the DB (German Railroad) site, there are storage lockers on board the train. See the service on board info at this link; bahn.de/i/…ice.shtml

Edited: 8:44 pm, June 01, 2010
Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage on ICE train

I've used ICE trains several times and always found space to stow a large rucksack. In my experience there's more luggage space on trains in mainland Europe than on the Eurostar trains, not least because some passengers are only making short journeys with little luggage.

3. Re: Luggage on ICE train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, November 30, 2010