We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak NYC to Denver

Brooklyn, New York
11 posts
Save Topic
Amtrak NYC to Denver

Need advice about advisability of booking roomette, NYC to Chicago and then going coach from Chicago to Denver, as no roomette with commode is available. What is comfort level of coach seat? Reclining? Leg rests? Travel in August. How long can one stay in Lounge Car? Are roomette seats comfortable? Are you restricted to roomette for trip or can one move to coach seats (if available) during daylight hours?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak NYC to Denver

Strange that no roomette with commode is available, but that a roomette is.

I haven't taken the Chicago-Denver train for many years. However, a roomette always used to have one. Inconvenient, but there. (You first had to get out of bed, move to the 'curtain' for the roomette, then lift the bed, and there was the WC. Use it, and then reverse the procedure. ) I have no idea about the comfort level of coach seats. When I used trains to get between Den and NYC, I could always moved around the train, but found the seats in my roomette OK.

Things have now changed, of course, so this is many years out of date.

One thing that is almost certainly no longer with us is the 'Duplex single room.' I think that only the Pennsie and the Burligton Norther ever had them. On the othe hand, if you see such an option, do consider it.

I hope you get more recent info.

Brooklyn, New York
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak NYC to Denver

many thanks,

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
701 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak NYC to Denver

Hi,

The Lake shore limited is the train used on that line .

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Shore_Limited

The trip takes 19 hours. And fare starts at 86 $ for a seat . ( +250 $ for roomette ) and +650$ for bedroom.

Reserved coach seat : www.amtrak.com/servlet/Satellite…

Roomette : www.amtrak.com/servlet/Satellite…

Bedroom : www.amtrak.com/servlet/Satellite…

If I see to the Amtrak picture the seats are reclining . They are not comfortable for a 19 hours ride ! There are 2 seats in the Roomette during the day and they do recline . Also meals and drinks are included in the Roomette and Bedroom fares !

Max

Edited: 3:02 pm, May 16, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak NYC to Denver

No problem. Just wish I had recent info for you.

I did this trip several times back in the late '60's. Roomette only from Denver to Chicago. (That was as I described.) Discovered the Broadway Limited, and its duplex single rooms, and booked those. I really loved the B'way. I suspect that those cars are now gone, alas.

I'd look at another rommette from Chicago to Denver, unless the timetables are such that you can actually do it in daylight. It's a long way and the scenery is totally boring until about 2 hrs out from Denver.

The roomettes I used to have were certainly small. (WC under the seat, so one had to go through the rigarmole with the curtain.)

See if AmTrak can give you more details on them.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,078 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak NYC to Denver

You are talking about two different Sleeper car designs. From NYC to Chicago on the LakeShore Ltd you have the "Viewliner" cars. That was the latest, and not so successful, design. It is a single level design that packs all the amenities in the one level car (the double level equipment doesn't fit under the bridges and through the old Northeast corridor route). The toilet in the room was supposed to free up community bathroom space for another revenue space. IMHO it "incommodes" you. (pun intended). From Chicago to Denver you will have the "Superliner" cars. The Superliner car roomettes do not have the in room toilet and, trust me, that is very good. The Viewliner in-room toilets are not good. The Superliner cars have one restroom upstairs (where 10 roomettes and 5 bedrooms are located) and four bathrooms and a shower/dressing room downstairs (where 4 roomettes and the handicap and family bedrooms are located. In all, you have 5 restrooms available. This is a tried and true design from the days of the grand cross country trains in which there was one communal men's and women's lounge/restroom in each car. This 1970s design has individual facilities located on both levels of each car. If the availability of restrooms is your deciding point then there is no difference in Coach versus a roomette in the Sleeper. If you take coach car you will have similar bathrooms downstairs in each car. If, however, you want your private space and a bed to lie down in overnight (both of the trains you are taking are overnight) you need at least a roomette. The roomettes are a small accomodation. They are a holdover from the single occupancy roomettes of the 1950s. They now have a bunk bed sleeping configuration for double occupancy. For one person they are ideal: for two they are cosy. Since the trip between NYC and Chicago and the trip between Chicago and Denver is only overnight, they are the best choice. I suggest the rule of thumb - daytime travel = coach, one night = roomette, 2 nights = bedroom.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,078 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak NYC to Denver

Oh, yes, in answer to the rest of your question. Coach seats are about as comfortable as Business class in an airplane except they are cloth upholstered instead of leather. Actually better since you won't slide out of cloth seats. Although you are free to move about the train and stretch your legs, you may not take a coach seat. Coach seats are assigned on long distance trains. Likewise the coach passengers may not come into the sleepers and make themselves at home in your roomette. You may stay in the lounge car as long as you like. However, the train crosses the Mississippi around sunset. Travel through Iowa, Kansas and Colorado is at night. There is nothing to see from the view lounge at night. The cafe in the lower level of the lounge car closes around 10pm. The roomette seats are as comfortable as they are. It depends on whether or not the car you're in has been rebuilt of late and has new foam. They do recline and pillows are provided. There's one other thing you must take into account. Dining car food service is included in the cost of your sleeper. In the coach car you pay for whatever you eat. You will be eating 2 dinners, 2 lunches and 1 breakfast on the train(s).

7. Re: Amtrak NYC to Denver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, November 14, 2010