We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thalys Bruges to Amsterdam Centraal April 2018 on a Saturday

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
462 posts
1,624 reviews
Thalys Bruges to Amsterdam Centraal April 2018 on a Saturday

I have booked a ticket from Amsterdam Centraal to Bruges (via Bruxelles Midi) on April 18, 2018. I have been checking the weekends for the return trip on 21 April - which is a Saturday. I know I cannot book it until December 21, 4 months in advance.

However, I have been checking the schedule for Saturday and Sunday travel on April 7,8, 14 and 15 and the only trains available are IC trains. I am wondering if there is going to be track work on the weekends in April and the Thalys trains will not be running.

Thank you.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
5,497 posts
17 reviews
11. Re: Thalys Bruges to Amsterdam Centraal April 2018 on a Saturday

First steer clear of RailEurope.

There are no track works planned. But from Bruges due to the IC Brussel going over the high speed line from this year on there is no time advantage in booking the thalys anymore. And that is why what option won't show up on the journey planners anymore.

I would either try to secure an All Belgian Station ticket from either b-europe or thalys.com. You can use that ticket to get from Bruges with any train to Brussels and get on the specified Thalys there. Or just buy a ticket on the day itself at the station in Bruges and use regular trains. No price advantage in booking those early.

Whatever you do DON'T go to RailEurope. They can't sell you anything cheaper or different products than the train operators can.

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
462 posts
1,624 reviews
12. Re: Thalys Bruges to Amsterdam Centraal April 2018 on a Saturday

Thank you, Lionhart2304. That does clarify things. I really did not want to have to pay extraneous fees with Raileurope.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,320 posts
3 reviews
13. Re: Thalys Bruges to Amsterdam Centraal April 2018 on a Saturday

It doesn't clarify anythying! This is simply NOT TRUE "But from Bruges due to the IC Brussel going over the high speed line from this year on there is no time advantage in booking the thalys anymore." - if it WERE true, why would you be able to book IC+Thalys for Monday but not the preceding Saturday?! I already gave travel times for the IC in April 2018 in my earlier response, and the fact that IC trains are using high-speed lines does NOT make IC is as fast as Thalys!!!

For the rest, it's clearly not the length of time before the date of travel that is the issue, because tickets are available (on both b-europe and, looking for Thalys only, on thalys.com) for Monday 9 April when they are not available for Saturday 7 or Sunday 8 April !

I wondered whether it had something to do with ticketing for the new regular Eurostar service between London and Amsterdam (via Brussels and Antwerp), which is supposed to start in April 2018, as this must also show up as an option in timetable searches covering Antwerp-Amsterdam, so they have to put those in the booking engine alongside Thalys. But unless Eurostar would (at that date) be a weekend-only service, which doesn't seem likely, it's not clear why it's only the weekends that are affected. Search as I might, in 3 languages, I don't find any reference whatsoever to weekend work on the high-speed line at that time.

Edited: 5:18 pm, December 21, 2017
Reading, PA
Level Contributor
462 posts
1,624 reviews
14. Re: Thalys Bruges to Amsterdam Centraal April 2018 on a Saturday

Thank you for your research gaminari. It is perplexing!

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
462 posts
1,624 reviews
15. Re: Thalys Bruges to Amsterdam Centraal April 2018 on a Saturday

Mystery solved! I sent an email to Thalys customer service. They finally replied - after 2 weeks. There is possible track work April 21 and 22 so they are not putting tickets on sale for that weekend.

They are still selling tickets from Bruges to Amsterdam Centraal on Thalys, but it is via Antwerpen and requires 2 connections - one of which is only 7 minutes. I am a bit concerned that connection may be a bit tight. But at least I now know why tickets are not being sold from Bruxelles Midi to Amsterdam Centraal on April 21.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
20,782 posts
76 reviews
16. Re: Thalys Bruges to Amsterdam Centraal April 2018 on a Saturday

"They are still selling tickets from Bruges to Amsterdam Centraal on Thalys, but it is via Antwerpen and requires 2 connections - one of which is only 7 minutes."

Would that be changing at Gent?

If so there is no need to change there. Just get a direct train from Brugge to Antwerp.

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
462 posts
1,624 reviews
17. Re: Thalys Bruges to Amsterdam Centraal April 2018 on a Saturday

I need to clarify my last entry. It is b-europe who is selling the tickets from Bruges to Amsterdam - not Thalys. I am not sure I trust b-europe selling Thalys tickets from Antwerpen to Amsterdam since they are not for sale on the Thalys website.

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
462 posts
1,624 reviews
18. Re: Thalys Bruges to Amsterdam Centraal April 2018 on a Saturday

Big surprise! Thalys tickets are available today for April 21 - on the Thalys website. Hopefully, the train will actually run that day.

19. Re: Thalys Bruges to Amsterdam Centraal April 2018 on a Saturday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 11, 2019