We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ordinaria ticket question

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ordinaria ticket question

Hello,

If I buy online an Ordinaria fare for a regional train, going from Venice S.Lucia to Venice Mestre for say, departing 11:05 am, can I use this ticket on an earlier train from Venice S.L to Venice Mestre, if I arrive at Venice S.L earlier? My understanding is you can use the online ticket for within 4 hours of ticket departure time, but does that mean 4 hours after or also 4 hours before the purchased time?

I realize I can also buy hard paper ticket, but I am not sure where the nearest ticket place is, as we will be coming in by plane, and also I don't want to be rushed to get the ticket that same morning at the S,L train station. I am told where we are staying is around 45 minutes away from the train station and checkout is 1000.

Thank you very much for your help.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ordinaria ticket question

No, if you buy online the ticket is valid for 4 hours FROM the time you buy it for: trenitalia.com/tcom-en/Purchase/Regional-onl… - so you could simply buy it for the earliest possible departure you might make.

You can obviously buy tickets from the ticket machines/ ticket office at Santa Lucia station, anytime during your stay. Unlike tickets bought online, these are not pre-validated for a specific time, so don't forget to validate the ticket in the machine before you get on the train.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,420 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ordinaria ticket question

" but does that mean 4 hours after or also 4 hours before the purchased time? "

No, online tickets are valid 4 hrs after the designated train

" as we will be coming in by plane "

Best is to buy it the day before at the station with a specific date

bvlenci explains the rules in this thread

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g18…

Turin
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ordinaria ticket question

There is free-and-easy-to-use wifi at San Marco airport. If you have a smartphone you could install trenitalia's app and purchase the tickets you need while waiting for you bags or standing in line at the passports control.

Mote that You can purchase regional trains tickets also at travel agencies displaying trenitalia's logo on the window and at many tobacconists.

The easiest way would be just purchasing at an automatic ticket machine either a few minutes before the departure or when you pass by any Trenitalia station for whatever reason.

Ticket machines are very easy to use. Just push the UK flag to switch to English. There are some "how to" videos on youtube,

Edited: 5:15 pm, April 16, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,957 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ordinaria ticket question

Hang on. If you are arriving by plane, why do you need a ticket from Santa Lucia to Mestre? You can take a bus from the airport direct to Mestre station.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ordinaria ticket question

Thank you all for your replies.

Sydneynick, my question pertained to when we leave Venice to head for our next destination. When we depart from Venice, one of the options is to take a regional train. I guess what I meant is that since we are arriving by plane, we would not be visiting a train station in Italy until the day we leave Venice, which is why I was thinking of purchasing the tickets online at home beforehand for convenience. That way, we would not be so rushed the morning we check out of the apartment, take vaporetto to train station, and then have to buy the tickets.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ordinaria ticket question

Also, thank you all for the links. I had not realized that the tickets are now only good for the day designated on the ticket rather than the 2 months that it used to be.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,671 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ordinaria ticket question

Not that while almost all Trenitalia Regional tickets are now valid for four hours from validation, this is not so for tickets for travel entirely within the urban area of Venice (e.g. Mestre-Santa Lucia). These tickets are OK for only 60 minutes after validation. The €1.25 rate is a special local tarif.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ordinaria ticket question

That is good to know. Thank you.

9. Re: Ordinaria ticket question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 19, 2018