We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Express cards?

W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
6,927 posts
190 reviews
138 helpful votes
American Express cards?

It must be the most useless card in existence.

I tend to travel to some of the less exotic/glamorous destinations, it has to be the most useless; least excepted card in existence.

When I pull that damn thing out of my wallet you'd think that I farted at thier grans funeral.

I asked a hotel last week; who also refused it, why this was so ? It appears they charge the retailers some of the largest fees to use.

I remember the good old days when we had Mastercard.

74 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18,535 posts
189 reviews
138 helpful votes
1. Re: American Express cards?

Since you posted your rant in the Business Travel forum - my opinion is that it really doesn't matter what I think about AMEX, it's acceptance, etc. My employer requires me to use it, so I do. My employer also vets preferred hotels which accept it - so I don't have the issues you do. I did once have a co-branded airline AMEX for personal use, and opted to cancel it when it came up for renewal. It wasn't worth the annual fee to keep.

Mac
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,274 posts
62 reviews
95 helpful votes
2. Re: American Express cards?

AXP charges us (merchant) higher rate and takes few more days to transfer fund in, VISA MC transfer fund in within hours. We accept it but we don't like it, very much dislike it, feel cheated. AXP staff tend to be a little arrogant and ignorant, not well trained.

I have AXP Gold as back up card, it is accepted at most nicer places, I use it as back up. I had VISA card rejected rarely but occasionally due to fraud prevention, AXP card saved me at a Tokyo hotel checkout. All it has to do is to save me once.

Sort of like Honda-Toyota, AXP is like Sabb or Volvo or Mini Cooper, good to be a little different than the masses.

It's point system can be generous, any airlines with no blackout date, triple points on selected categories. We got about 5 FREE domestic round trip air tickets in 2016. I'd say we got our money's worth. If you know to take advantage of the point-miles game.

Edited: 6:29 pm, July 28, 2016
W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
6,927 posts
190 reviews
138 helpful votes
3. Re: American Express cards?

Rant ?, hardly. Just fed up of the damn card

I'd love to get shut of it.

Unfortunately my company insist on us having one.

It's got to the point I only book flights on it.

Another Wierd aspect of my beloved Amex card is the payment period. If charge a hotel on the 11th, then it goes immediately on my statement for the 12th. This means I have 1 month to settle the bill. However it can take 7 days to appear on Concurs, so I've already lost a 1/4 of the billing period just waiting for it to be appear so u can file it.

Oh how I do love my Amex card, it's just soo user friendly 😆

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18,535 posts
189 reviews
138 helpful votes
4. Re: American Express cards?

<Oh how I do love my Amex card, it's just soo user friendly 😆>

One could argue whether you are the user, or whether your employer is... Cheers!

Garden Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
10,696 posts
106 reviews
154 helpful votes
5. Re: American Express cards?

I dropped the platinum card several years ago and elevated to the United Club card. I controlled the company preferred card policy so I didn't have to worry about that aspect. But, then I found the Hilton AMEX affinity card which gives a bucket o'points when staying at Hiltons. It makes up for the peso nature of the Hilton system.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
19,028 posts
124 reviews
73 helpful votes
6. Re: American Express cards?

I used to work for a company that required us to use AMEX cards for expenses. I was very glad when I changed companies and no longer had that requirement.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
80,934 posts
478 reviews
376 helpful votes
7. Re: American Express cards?

I'm glad that the companies I worked for where business travel was involved all used Mastercards.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
59,450 posts
2,022 reviews
1,824 helpful votes
8. Re: American Express cards?

I use AMEX Platinum and HHonors Optima Surpass often. Platinum has no FTF's, but with a Hilton, the bennies offset those.

I also use the Chase United Visa, with no FTF's.

No issues in US, UK, Western Europe, Australia, or Japan.

Hunt

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
9. Re: American Express cards?

Credit cards are tools, and rarely is a single tool the best for every job. In the case of a business Amex, it is a tool for your employer - not you.

Your employer does not want you waiting months and months to do your expense report. They don't want you running a balance they end up paying interest on so you get a charge card, not a credit card. They want a system that links with another system like Concur so your accounting department doesn't spend 100s of hours matching up receipts to credit card statements. They want a true corporate card drawn on the business account, not the "small business" cards typically offered by Visa and MC issuers that rely on personal credit. I'm not sure that anyone else offers this level of product features and control for the corporation.

On the personal side, Amex does offer some great benefits. My dog chewed up my laptop and I got reimbursed under Amex purchase protection. Several of my cards automatically double factory warranties on electronics. There is also great potential in points and cash back if you play the game right. I get 6% cash back on groceries with the Blue Cash Preferred Amex. 12 Hilton points per dollar with the Surpass at Hilton's on top of a signup bonus of 100,000 points. I'm getting up to 6% in free airfare with a US Bank issued Amex.

I also use multiple Chase, Citibank, Bank of America and others cards. I'm even happy to use Discover when they offer me $100 cash for spending $1000. Thankfully my company is pretty flexible on the use of a corporate card. I use the corporate Amex for airfare and hotels due to the insurance provided, but I will put Hilton, IHG and Club Carlson hotels on my personal cards for the points bonuses and get reimbursed. Its all about the right tool for the job.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
64 reviews
29 helpful votes
10. Re: American Express cards?

"Another Wierd aspect of my beloved Amex card is the payment period. If charge a hotel on the 11th, then it goes immediately on my statement for the 12th. This means I have 1 month to settle the bill."

Re. AMEX corp. cards ... I never pay attention to the due date on the statement or the email they sent. You (I) actually 45 days from the closing date before they start charging you interest. If you call and ask for the actual due date they'll tell you what it really is. My statement has a "please pay by" date, but that date is several weeks before the actual due date.

Edited: 10:32 pm, August 10, 2016
Reply to: American Express cards?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted