We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air bnb

Noosa Queensland...
Level Contributor
27 posts
20 reviews
Air bnb

I see in the news that Air bnb are now targeting business trips.

From my past experiences, all I wish to say is that you should avoid dealings with this company completely.

It has turned into a complete and utter disaster for both landlords and renters.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
105 reviews
1. Re: Air bnb

Although people have to be careful and read reviews, I think your statement is way over the TOP! I have used Airbnb several times in various countries and have been very happy overall.

Edited: 1:43 am, July 29, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
21,766 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: Air bnb

AirBnB may try and target individuals in this market segment, but they cannot feasibly target high volume corporate businesses. Consistency in product and regulated, are two key drivers in business travel.

3. Re: Air bnb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:38 pm, July 30, 2014
Edited: 12:38 pm, July 30, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
21,766 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Air bnb

Well written but comes across entirely as a paid promotion of AirBnB.

Several thoughts;

- Your article focuses on one trip to Paris, so it isn't a particularly large sample size. You failed to mention that the overwhelming majority of private rentals in Paris are illegal. Whilst the laws aren't stringently enforced, it's still illegal. Just like San Francisco, Berlin, Quebec City and NYC, the local authorities are becoming more aware, and the locals aren't particularly fond of strangers going in and out of their building.

>>>the traveller taking a bigger role in choosing the property, rather than sticking to corporate agreed hotels<<<

If you're a corporate agent, you should know better than most about suppliers, and requirements of certain companies. So from there;

A) How do you propose a commission structure from AirBnB? Landlords won't go for that whatsoever. There's is already the prevalent issue of owners not paying taxes

B) A large portion of corporates have company based contra-deals with hotel groups, and have limited choices. How would you get around that?

C) AirBnB is a host site, not a lodging 'brand', and as such they cannot guarantee consistency from one property to the next. Nor can they guarantee every property offering the facilities most demanded by corporates.

D) Trying to sell savings/cheap may interest small companies, but corporate travellers don't care when the company is paying and amenities such as breakfast, gym and 24/7 service is included. Something that cannot be offered by AirBnB or any of the owners.

Edited: 12:11 pm, July 30, 2014
New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Air bnb

I could argue with you. I am using air bnb quite often but everything went well so far.

Noosa Queensland...
Level Contributor
27 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Air bnb

I dont intend to further this discussion with people who may well have agendas in ensuring that this company's problems are de-emphasised.

There are numerous forums and reports available that hosts and clients can avail themselves including a number on this very good forum.

Anyone got experience of Airbnb?

AirBNB -- anyone used them? Curious...

investopedia.com/articles/…

…blogspot.com.au/2012/02/our-bleh-airbnb-exp…

just being a sprinkling.

If you have had good experiences, then breathe a sigh of relief. If not, ...

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
9,515 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Air bnb

I am well aware of lots of very passionated online airbnb haters, for unknown reason they have strong emotion about it. airbnb is just an easy short nickname for vacation rental, which has been around for a long time, maybe centuries, if not few thousands years, decades ago it was also called boarding houses/rooms, common in American small towns with no hotel.

As a frequent business traveler, I like to try different hotels, while my colleagues tend to stay at same hotels, or even same rooms. I try expensive or cheap local hotels, hit or misses. I even stay in 2 hotels in same city on same trip, 2 here 3 there.

Before airbnb, I have rented vacation rentals, such as 3 bedroom apartments in New York city high rises with doormen, interesting change of pace to live as locals. But there are risks, if apt is dirty or once one bed had bedbugs, there was no recourse, no solution, no place to complain to, nothing you can do.

Airbnb is setup as a middleman, much like eBay or Amazon or Paypal, or an escrow agent. It offers hosts a place to advertise, guests to find them in one place. It set up a safe system to request and accept reservation, it holds money until your stay. You pay once reservation is confirmed, but that money does not go to hosts until your stay.

It offers guest a place to openly complain and let all to see, thereby destroy future business, that put fear into hosts to do good. It does the same to guests, if host puts bad remarks about guests, no other hosts will rent to this guest.

I have since rented on airbnb about 10 times, my son who does many road trips and backpacking trips also rented over 20 times. We never had any problem. My rentals are mostly overseas, Asia and Europe, my son's rentals were US and Asia. I also have a close friend who rents out her downstairs studio in San Diego for about $300 a day, minimum one week stay, it is booked most of the year by European guests.

I have 2 airbnb reservations coming up, Amsterdam and Paris, not really cheaper than hotels, $200-$300 a day. They will allow us the chance to live like locals to go home daily, shop locally, sit on my balcony to watch the day go by, one of them is actually a boat across from the Louvre on river Seine. You don't get that experience in hotels. But I do mix hotels and airbnb on each trip.

airbnb is new, hard for many to swallow, just like eBay or Amazon, it takes years or even decades, but it is evitable. .

8. Re: Air bnb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 24, 2016